Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Luk clutche or napa clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Luk clutche or napa clutch?

My throw out bearing is toast, and I'm going to replace my clutch, any preferences when it comes to clutches? The two I'm going between is napa, which I've always had good luck with, and luk, which the mechanic is telling me is a very good name. Please advise! Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Also, took this video by mounting a camera under my jeep, this sound IS the throw out bearing right? Anybody heard this sound before? I don't want to spend 900 bucks on a mechanic to fix it and it be the wrong problem!

Tell me if that link works!
Please tell me if I'm wrong!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Model: Cherokee

I can't tell when you're using the clutch, but that is that squeak stopping when you have the clutch pedal down, or clutch pedal up?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

The squeak is after I release the clutch, between idle and 2000 rpm, faster then that and it goes away, it's louder when I'm not accelerating, just going at a leisurely pace.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM

That sound/descriptions sounds like a TO bearing to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Member

is it okay to drive around with a bad TO bearing for a while? Doesn't seem to be doing any harm...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM

I changed mine a few weeks ago and i went with one from napa, it was a sac clutch with i think was original equipment. I dont have many miles on it yet but it works great so far.

I dont think driving with a bad bearing will hurt any thing but it could fail at any time and leave you on the side of the road.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 liter I6

The throw out bearing can start to lockup up and blow apart and leave you stranded. Just Saying. LUK, SACHS, Valeo are all reputable manufacturers of clutches and all make clutches as OEM equipment for several car manufacturers .
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by droopy
I changed mine a few weeks ago and i went with one from napa, it was a sac clutch with i think was original equipment. I dont have many miles on it yet but it works great so far.

I dont think driving with a bad bearing will hurt any thing but it could fail at any time and leave you on the side of the road.
thanks for the input, i think i will just keep driving on it for now, put up with the god awful noise and buy a napa clutch, the mechanic i talked to said as long as its the right clutch he will put it in for me. Thanks for the input again, hard to find answers to my questions just searching.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i don't think that's your throwout bearing. that sound is horrible as soon as you start it.

what that sounds like is your centering ball in your double cardan driveshaft. (front drive shaft, between the two close u-joints, the CV part).

we call that the angry sparrows.

pull your front driveshaft and give er a go.

otherwise, Luk or centerforceII for a clutch.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by caged
i don't think that's your throwout bearing. that sound is horrible as soon as you start it.

what that sounds like is your centering ball in your double cardan driveshaft. (front drive shaft, between the two close u-joints, the CV part).

we call that the angry sparrows.

pull your front driveshaft and give er a go.

otherwise, Luk or centerforceII for a clutch.
Thanks for your post, I unhooked the driveshaft at the dif and wired it up, wasn't spinning as I was driving and it still made the noise. Wouldn't be the back one would it?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Member

So just thought I would update, the sound was my throw out bearing, it completely shattered on me a week ago and I had to get it replaced, I like this jeep so I decided to replace the whole clutch and u joints, not much for the job I was expecting it to be more, it's the first time I've taken this jeep in to a shop to get work done, haven't picked it up yet but the guy showed me my throw out bearing, there were shards of it everywhere and It destroyed my clutch spindles lol. It lasted only a couple weeks with a bad bearing, but I've heard some people's have lasted a long time, but it did leave me stranded without a vehicle, I should've got it fixed sooner.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Im just currious, where did you find a Luk clutch? All i can find is centerforce and have read lots of bad reviews about their weight system. Luk manufactures the torque converters for the Allison transmissions so i know its a good brand
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jeep19xj91
Im just currious, where did you find a Luk clutch? All i can find is centerforce and have read lots of bad reviews about their weight system. Luk manufactures the torque converters for the Allison transmissions so i know its a good brand
I didn't find it, my mechanic did,not too bad of a deal too, less than 300 for a complete kit. I'm in Canada though so suppliers would be different
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by dilljeepo
I didn't find it, my mechanic did,not too bad of a deal too, less than 300 for a complete kit. I'm in Canada though so suppliers would be different
So did you decide to go with the Luk rather than a generic? If so how do you like it? Hows it hold and is the pedal any harder?

Quick Reply: Luk clutche or napa clutch?