Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lucas, test

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default lucas, test

http://web.archive.org/web/201009261...ucas/lucas.htm

Speaks for its self
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Never been a fan of lucas really. Ive been border line on it really.I knew a guy that had a F150 had a wrist pin knocking and could put lucas in it and the knock would go away. I had a 00 Chevy z71 a few months ago that had a dry start issue. Changed the oil and decided to add in some Lucas and the dry start issue got worse and louder.
BTW Bobistheoilguy is an awesome site.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l HO

Originally Posted by UJSLOST
Never been a fan of lucas really. Ive been border line on it really.I knew a guy that had a F150 had a wrist pin knocking and could put lucas in it and the knock would go away. I had a 00 Chevy z71 a few months ago that had a dry start issue. Changed the oil and decided to add in some Lucas and the dry start issue got worse and louder.
BTW Bobistheoilguy is an awesome site.
I had a 2002 Ford Taurus with vibration in the tranny, a mechanic I trusted suggested doing a flush and filter change, and if that didn't work try a bottle of Lucas transmission additive. The flush didn't help, although I'm sure it didn't hurt either. I tried the Lucas and immediately the vibration went away. It came back about six months later and another bottle made it quiet and smooth again. I sold the car soon after that, and last I heard she was still going strong a year later.

Even so, I'm not a true believer in the power of magic bottle fixes. I believe I got really lucky. That same friend who bought the Taurus has a Honda Passport with tapping noises in the passenger side valve cover at 2000-3000 rpm and he's tried every magic bottle fix out there to no avail. I told him it's probably going to take a top end rebuild to fix.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kaidenshi

I had a 2002 Ford Taurus with vibration in the tranny, a mechanic I trusted suggested doing a flush and filter change, and if that didn't work try a bottle of Lucas transmission additive. The flush didn't help, although I'm sure it didn't hurt either. I tried the Lucas and immediately the vibration went away. It came back about six months later and another bottle made it quiet and smooth again. I sold the car soon after that, and last I heard she was still going strong a year later.

Even so, I'm not a true believer in the power of magic bottle fixes. I believe I got really lucky. That same friend who bought the Taurus has a Honda Passport with tapping noises in the passenger side valve cover at 2000-3000 rpm and he's tried every magic bottle fix out there to no avail. I told him it's probably going to take a top end rebuild to fix.

What most likely happened is the Lucas weighted up the oil and that's what stopped it