Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Low compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Low compression

Was driving my 92 cherokee with no symptoms. Dropped my son off got back in the jeep and started it up and it was idling rough and no power and bad spark knock. Got it home and connected a fuel pressure tester and everything checked out good. Checked my compression the right way and #1 120, #2 20, #3 30, #4 105, #5 120, and #6 115. With my compression being like that what do you think could be the cause? I did put oil in the spark plug holes in the #2 and #3 and it did bring #2 up to 40 and #3 up to 50. I'm thinking it's something with the head or a head gasket. There are no signs of coolant in the oil. It has been smoking for about a year now on first start up but it stops smoking after about 5 to 10 minutes of running, just figured that was my valve seals. It is a 1992 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 with 221,000 miles all stock.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Shawn Smith
Was driving my 92 cherokee with no symptoms. Dropped my son off got back in the jeep and started it up and it was idling rough and no power and bad spark knock. Got it home and connected a fuel pressure tester and everything checked out good. Checked my compression the right way and #1 120, #2 20, #3 30, #4 105, #5 120, and #6 115. With my compression being like that what do you think could be the cause? I did put oil in the spark plug holes in the #2 and #3 and it did bring #2 up to 40 and #3 up to 50. I'm thinking it's something with the head or a head gasket. There are no signs of coolant in the oil. It has been smoking for about a year now on first start up but it stops smoking after about 5 to 10 minutes of running, just figured that was my valve seals. It is a 1992 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 with 221,000 miles all stock.
Welcome! I have to be honest from what you shared here "Smoking for a year now", and tell you it sounds like it may have got hot at some point and may have broken rings and possibly scored cylinder walls. Has it been using coolant? It doesn't always show up in the oil but could be still sucking into the cylinders. The thing is you need to determine what color of smoke it is or if it is steam. But no compression is a bad thing.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

It has never gotten hot since I have owned it and it started smoking white smoke with me. It doesn't lose any coolant and I add about a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. I'm about to pull it apart and see what's going on just wanted to see what people thought.