Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loud single click

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Loud single click

I have a 94 Cherokee. I went out mudding and when i got home i turned it off and noticed all electrical power was gone so i checked under the hood and a positive cable had disconnected so i reconnected it and everything came back on but when i tried to turn it over all i hear is a loud single click. I tried to jump it with a box and still nothing.

I just picked up the battery a few weeks ago but i will take it in tomorrow to have it tested but wanted to see if anyone would suggest anything else.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5L MFI

A loud single click, as in the relay or the starter? I would first check the starter relay. RENIX era 1984-90 have a big relay, while 91-01 have a standard relay in the PDC/Fuse box. If you have the standard relay, swap it with another relay to see if that fixes it. If you have the RENIX starter, clean it and follow the video below. Make sure the cables haven't been knocked off any other components like the starter itself.

If that's fine, then it sounds like your starter is getting volts to push the rod to engage, but not spinning. To test the starter, manually start it with a direct connection to the battery (battery straight to starter). You need to make sure that the rod sticks out and spins when powered. A common fix is to smack the top of the starter with a block of wood (No, really I'm serious). This helps the carbon brushes knock off any debris and make it start.

If that doesn't work, then I would pull the starter and clean it.

NickInTimeFilms did an in-depth how-to on all these areas:

RELAY Diagnosis and Testing:

STARTER Diagnosis and Testing:

Starter Rebuild:

Worst case scenario, if your Jeep still won't start after all of these steps then you'll want to start poking around with a multi-meter. You will also want to look for any frayed/ground out wires. For RENIX era Jeeps, Cruiser54 preaches about how you need to refresh/check all grounds and known problem connectors:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/

Last edited by Ad-HocXJ; 11-03-2016 at 11:57 AM.