Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lost Bolt Size?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 Cylinder
Default Lost Bolt Size?

Hello Jeep People!

I hope all is well in the land of jeeps. Now, for my jeep issue. I got a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, 4WD. Now, my problem is that I am missing a exhaust hanger bolt. I had it replaced but the -profane words- people didn't do it right, and i finally have the time. The place that i can explain it is beside the gas tank on the right side on the... frame? sub-frame? It's the farthest back hanger, and not idea what size it is. I found this picture in the forum, and tried to show where it is.

Also if anyone knows off hand. I got multiple issues with the jeep, and wondered if i start a build thread for the jeep, or just use multiple threads as needed?

Thank you all,
Doug
Attached Thumbnails Lost Bolt Size?-006-5-.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

I would just take it to the auto parts store. I know o'Reilly has a cute little setup with test nuts you can screw the bolt into to check the size and pitch. If all else fails you can just get a whole new clamp for like $3.

As for the build thread, those are only to show off your rig, not get help. So just make a new thread for each big issue, small quick questions can go in the "Ask the question thread", that way they get answered quickly.

Last edited by 1976Mustang; 03-21-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by emt_hawkins
I got multiple issues with the jeep, and wondered if i start a build thread for the jeep, or just use multiple threads as needed?
X2^

My thought is you will get better info with separate threads. Different guys might be more interested/specialize in different issues.

For instance DJB, a cooling system expert, might not look at a thread titled, "overhead console" or some such.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Hello Jeep People!

I hope all is well in the land of jeeps. Now, for my jeep issue. I got a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, 4WD. Now, my problem is that I am missing a exhaust hanger bolt. I had it replaced but the -profane words- people didn't do it right, and i finally have the time. The place that i can explain it is beside the gas tank on the right side on the... frame? sub-frame? It's the farthest back hanger, and not idea what size it is. I found this picture in the forum, and tried to show where it is.

Also if anyone knows off hand. I got multiple issues with the jeep, and wondered if i start a build thread for the jeep, or just use multiple threads as needed?

Thank you all,
Doug
Exhaust clamp screws are typically 5/16"-18 UNC, I prefer to replace them with brass (makes it easier to service them.) Rarely, you'll find M8-1.25 - but both sizes are under the "stuff you should have on hand anyhow."

If it's the hanger to body screw, it should be M8-1.25x30m/m or thereabouts.

What sort of issues?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90
Exhaust clamp screws are typically 5/16"-18 UNC, I prefer to replace them with brass (makes it easier to service them.) Rarely, you'll find M8-1.25 - but both sizes are under the "stuff you should have on hand anyhow."

If it's the hanger to body screw, it should be M8-1.25x30m/m or thereabouts.

What sort of issues?
Got some front end issues with the death wobble. Tie rods, stabilizer bar links and bushings (i think that is right). Needs some body work as well, n prolly some more that i cant think of at the moment.

Thanks all for the help!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM

Also have another problem with the exhaust. I don't know if a hanger is broken, but sounds like rattling coming from underneath when driving. Looks like the exhaust before the resonator and muffler is hitting... something? As stupid as it sounds, i have no idea and am not that big of a car person. It's a larger bar across the entire width of the jeep. Crossmember maybe? I haven't gotten under it cause we got about 1' of snow over the past couple days, but try going into it with some info on what i may find/have to do.

Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Also have another problem with the exhaust. I don't know if a hanger is broken, but sounds like rattling coming from underneath when driving. Looks like the exhaust before the resonator and muffler is hitting... something? As stupid as it sounds, i have no idea and am not that big of a car person. It's a larger bar across the entire width of the jeep. Crossmember maybe? I haven't gotten under it cause we got about 1' of snow over the past couple days, but try going into it with some info on what i may find/have to do.

Any ideas?
1) Please, Ghod, stop using "prolly"! It's one of my pet peeves...

2) On the XJ, there is a rubber block in the crossmember (most years) that a tab on the exhaust fits into. This "rubber" (I think it's actually EPDM - a synthetic elastomer with physical properties similar to latex rubber, but more chemical resistance) can and do break down, and the block wants replacing. The insulating block itself may be ordered from outfits like RockAuto - should cost a bit less than ten bucks, you may as well find some other stuff to make it worth paying shipping. You'll have to do some metal bending to get the old block out and install the new one, but it's more work to remove the mount for access than to change the cushion. (I've done a few.)