Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loss of power steering after new pump and gear box

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Just installed a new gear box, lines and power steering pump. Now I have no power steering. I unhooked the return line and lifted the front of the jeep up. Turned the wheel back and forth until fluid was coming out of the return line from the pump. I plugged the return line port on the pump so fluid wouldn't leak out that way. Start it up and still nothing. The fluid is getting a lot of air from somewhere because it is very foamy and has a lot of bubbles. Did I bleed it the correct way or is there something else I need to do?

Loss of power steering after new pump and gear box-image-2283196267.jpg
Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 60th Anniversary
Engine: 4.6

Having any air in the system will make it inherently difficult to steer. Eliminate the air and you may solve your problem. Ensure there are no clogs at the gear and exiting the gear. Could be a bad gear or pressure line.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 6Cylinder
Having any air in the system will make it inherently difficult to steer. Eliminate the air and you may solve your problem. Ensure there are no clogs at the gear and exiting the gear. Could be a bad gear or pressure line.
I'm assuming the pump and gear are working correctly since the fluid is coming out of the gearbox through the return line. The fluid level in the reservoir drained down some when I was cycling it back and forth. It wasn't until I cycled it about 20 times and started it that I noticed the air bubbles. The return line was still off the reservoir when I started it.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Keep turning it back and forth and see if it frees up. Did you make sure to take the plastic caps out of the gearbox?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Keep turning it back and forth and see if it frees up. Did you make sure to take the plastic caps out of the gearbox?
Yeah I took them off. Or else the lines wouldn't have threaded in the holes.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Just making sure.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:14 PM

You need to eliminate the air in the system. If you're getting large amounts of bubbles then air is seeping in somehow. If you have a remanufactured gear it could be bad. Never assume it's good until you know it is. These systems aren't too complex so you need to start somewhere. Did you have power steering before this issue or is replacing the gear suppose to solve an existing problem?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:16 PM

You need to eliminate the air in the system. If you're getting large amounts of bubbles then air is seeping in somehow. If you have a remanufactured gear it could be bad. Never assume it's good until you know it is. These systems aren't too complex so you need to start somewhere. Did you have power steering before this issue or is replacing the gear suppose to solve an existing problem?
The old box was leaking and so was the pump so I replaced the box lines and pump to have fresh ones that didn't leak. I've tightened all the lines to make sure they were good and air wasn't seeping in through there.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:24 PM

You replaced all the power steering components? If so then it's either improper install or faulty part.

You could try letting it idle without turning the wheel and if you get less bubbles that is progress. Some systems require you to not turn the wheel while bleeding, letting the pump do most of the work.

Also if you did not prime the pump and gear before installation your problems will get even lengthier as you'll have to not turn on the vehicle at all and have to let the bubbles settle completely. May even have to remove the pump and drain all fluid then try to prime it.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM

You replaced all the power steering components? If so then it's either improper install or faulty part. You could try letting it idle without turning the wheel and if you get less bubbles that is progress. Some systems require you to not turn the wheel while bleeding, letting the pump do most of the work. Also if you did not prime the pump and gear before installation your problems will get even lengthier as you'll have to not turn on the vehicle at all and have to let the bubbles settle completely. May even have to remove the pump and drain all fluid then try to prime it.
I flushed it some more and now when I start it I hear grinding. So I immediately shut it off.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 PM

According to my FSM I have the lines in the correct places and everything else is in correctly too.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:47 PM

Are these remanufactured parts?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:49 PM

Are these remanufactured parts?
Yes because no one around me had brand new ones available.

There's also a sucking sound when I start it up. Obviously it's due to a leak somewhere. But I've tightened all my fittings and it still remains.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:51 PM

My FSM says that a sucking sound is a leak between the pump and reservoir. So if that's the case, could that mean the power steering pump assembly I have is faulty and not the gear box?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:54 PM

Find the noises location and you'll be one step further. I've had problems with remanufactured parts before so get your ducks in a row before you start warranting parts but it may come to that. I'd say find the air leak first. Some Teflon tape on the threads of the lines coming off the gearbox may help just make sure none of it gets inside the lines or gearbox.

Edit- just saw your post. If there is a leak between the res and the pump and you bought it like that then absolutely yes that is a faulty part. They assembled it wrong and you should get a new one that hasn't been assembled wrong.

Quick Reply: Loss of power steering after new pump and gear box