Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking for Tourqe

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default Looking for Tourqe

So I do fine at top end speeds since I dont have a sportscar not looking to break 100 on the interstate... But on the other hand I work out in the middle of no where and we cut down tree's and people get stuck often. What are some ways to increase my capability to pull people out and/or stumps? I want to increase my tourque (I am stock right now so working from scratch). I have a 1989 4.0l auto 4x4. Would you recommend buying a winch? Ive never had a winch and don't want to get one. But is that my best option for the purpose of my project? I want to go into 4x4 Low and tear some crap up. Please give me tips and ideas. Will exhaust upgrades or any of that COI help? I dont want a stroker because I really do like my 4.0l just trying to find some tips for a decent price that will help.

Yes I realize I spelled it wrong :-) but to late for that.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by mycherokee
So I do fine at top end speeds since I dont have a sportscar not looking to break 100 on the interstate... But on the other hand I work out in the middle of no where and we cut down tree's and people get stuck often. What are some ways to increase my capability to pull people out and/or stumps? I want to increase my tourque (I am stock right now so working from scratch). I have a 1989 4.0l auto 4x4. Would you recommend buying a winch? Ive never had a winch and don't want to get one. But is that my best option for the purpose of my project? I want to go into 4x4 Low and tear some crap up. Please give me tips and ideas. Will exhaust upgrades or any of that COI help? I dont want a stroker because I really do like my 4.0l just trying to find some tips for a decent price that will help.

Yes I realize I spelled it wrong :-) but to late for that.
You're going to be hampered by having a 1989 - there isn't a great deal of aftermarket support for RENIX. But...

1) Stroke it! Geta 258ci crankshaft and connecting rods. Put 242ci pistons on the assembly. Throw it in. You'll pick up a half-liter of displacement just doing that, but the key is in the longer stroke (which increases compression, which increases working pressure, which increases potential torque output.) You don't even need to remove the engine, if you check it out and find no machine work needed. The stock intake and exhaust setup will support most strokers, as long as you're not going *****-out.

2) Consider a camshaft swap - potentially while doing your stroker setup. When it comes to evaluating camshafts, the "area under the curve" (valve opening times/areas) is indicative of torque potential - more room under the curves on the cam card means more torque potential (gross oversimplification, I know, but I don't know if you want to get into the hows and whys of it all.) Playing with the camshaft timing on installation is also going to move your torque output band up and down the rpm band, so that is an option as well (once the parts to do it are figured out. I haven't measured the crank keys yet, and I also need to see if we can get away with boring out the keyhole in the cam sprocket to accept an offset bushing.)

In a shameless bit of self-promotion - http://www.kelleyswip.com/pwrman.html. I've decided that I'm going to start selling this book in digital format as well, which will simplify distribution. The book will be available as a "watermarked .pdf file" - meaning it's going to be imprinted with your name in the background of the pages. Details to appear on the site in the next week or so, I think...
Old 12-23-2009, 06:03 PM

Gears would definetely help your low end grunt but they are not cheap.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Goathearder
Gears would definetely help your low end grunt but they are not cheap.
x2 swap out gears