Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lifting my '95 jeep cherokee 4x4..please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lifting my '95 jeep cherokee 4x4..please help

i wanna lift my 1995 cherokee 4.5" dont really know anything about lifting
-http://rubiconexpress.com/SuspensionSystems/Product.aspx?part=RE6130
if i bought this what else would i need? and what shocks would be best for a smoother ride?
i dont plan on doing that much offroading... mainly just DD
SYE & CV Driveshaft <---i know these are recommended can someone post links ..what do they do?
*thanks,sorry bout all the questions....im new to all of this
Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

That's a great kit. My first lift on my XJ was a Rubicon Express 3" and I loved it. However, I would recommend upgrading to the adjustable control arms, because at 4.5" of lift it makes it much easier to dial in the alignment with the adjustable arms. As for shocks, the DT 3000's are considered more of a budget shock, but that's what I had with my 3" and they actually rode pretty good. But if you're really looking for a great ride both on and offroad, I would go with OME shocks. Stay away from the RE monotubes, I've seen a lot of problems/complaints on the forums with those shocks lately.

Here's a couple links to some good slip yoke eliminator kits;

Tom is a great guy and will take very good care of you. He can hook you up with both the SYE kit and new rear driveshaft. His shafts are considered some of the BEST on the market.

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

JB's kits are also very good, have one of theirs on mine.

http://www.jbconversions.com/product...1j_std_sye.php

OH - and WELCOME TO CF. Make sure to post up an intro in the Introduction Forum.

Last edited by Brad M.; 03-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks so much for your help
i was thinking bout getting the RE monotubes but I'll take your advice on those and looke into the other 1s...probally in a couple months I'm gonna lift it after I save up enough money...I'm gonna stick with the RE lift...I've heard they are the most durable and if I'm gonna gt somethig I don't want to be cheap about it...I also want to put 33x12.50x15 bf goodrich allterrian what would I need to do to get the best performance out of that?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Btempy
Thanks so much for your help
i was thinking bout getting the RE monotubes but I'll take your advice on those and looke into the other 1s...probally in a couple months I'm gonna lift it after I save up enough money...I'm gonna stick with the RE lift...I've heard they are the most durable and if I'm gonna gt somethig I don't want to be cheap about it...I also want to put 33x12.50x15 bf goodrich allterrian what would I need to do to get the best performance out of that?
To run 33x12.50's on 4.5" of lift you will need to trim your fenders and maybe extend the bumpstops a bit. But that's probably one of the most popular combos of lift and tire for the XJ. In fact, plenty of guys run 35's on only 4.5" of lift. I have 6" lift springs, but they're 9 yrs old and have lost about 1" over that time, so I'm sitting at about 5" on 33x12.50's. You can go to my profile and click on my album to get an idea of what she looks like. BFG AT's are an excellent tire, can't really go wrong there. I've ran a couple sets of them personally.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM

What about re-gearing...eventually I wanna trim a little and het bushwacke flares...I just gotta get the money....I just spent everything buying the jeep.... First car
Old 03-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Btempy
What about re-gearing...eventually I wanna trim a little and het bushwacke flares...I just gotta get the money....I just spent everything buying the jeep.... First car
Where do you live? Are there mountains or a lot of hills in your normal driving? Best gears for 33's are 4:56's or 4.88's. I have 4.56's and wish I would have gone to 4.88's because I'm in Utah and there are lots of mountains and hills. One of the guys in my local club has the same setup as me but with 4.88's and he gets better mileage than me, pulls the hills easier, and just has more power in general.

As for Bushwackers, I'd think long and hard about it. Once you put 'em on there's no going back, those holes you drill will still be there if you get sick of 'em and decide to pull 'em later, and they can be brittle. If you can run flareless legally where you live I'd try and get away with that. If not (like me, got tired of tickets) then they are worth it to keep LEO's off your back. Or you can trim and relocate the stock flares.

OH, and congrats on your first purchase being an XJ! Nicely done, you won't regret it. But your wallet might.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:04 PM

Virginia beach...like I said not really gonna be offroading but i want to be able to and I will a little it's all flat here mostly just a daily driver really...and thanks