Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

liftgate problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 Cylinder/4.0 Litre
Default liftgate problems

so, I've got a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer, and I'm havin problems with the lift gate. The liftgate is out of whack. First, the carpet stuff is missing, and I put some better speakers in it, but with the lining missing, I don't know if the latch is original or not. I don't have the original key, the towing company i bought it from had door keys cut for it and I had to replace the ignition and it came with keys. I was wondering if the original liftgate cylinder is supposed to lock or not, whereas it has the key slot. The door key works perfectly in it, but I don't know if it locks or not. Also, the liftgate is hard to close and keep shut. If I push the button and hold it, it latches, but not very good. I found the little tab on the inside with that actual latch assembly that moves to hold the latch closed, but sometimes it bounces loose. I have a ratchet strap keeping it shut cuz the seal went bad and was leaking water in my jeep and yeah. With school about to start up, I'm gonna start driving it to school, and I'd like to be able to use the back with out having to unlock the back door, release the strap and open it and then close it and redo the strap. And I'd like to be able to use it without the possibility of it opening on my way to school or anywhere or having someone open it in the parking lot and steal anything like my stereo. Any help would be great! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Try loosening up the strike pin on the body and move it toward the rear bumper more tighten it back down and see what happens.
Also did you lube up the latch? The factory grease in them dry up and make things not move so easy over time.