Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lift soon,....what gear ratio will i need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default lift soon,....what gear ratio will i need?

ive got a 2000 xj with the 4.0 I6 and im throwin the 4.5 inch RE lift on and ive been told that i might need to regear. what gear ratio would i need and where would i find these? also i refuse to do anything important cheap, so whats the best kind i can get? thanks for the help.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

gearing depends on what size tire your gunna run
Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Year: 1998, 1999
Engine: 4.0

That's a good start... Anything over 31's is a regear if you want to do it right... If you search "regear" you will find an evening of reading material on this.
mike
Old 11-09-2009, 06:10 PM

thanks for the info mike. and for tire size in gonna run 32x11.50. possibly 33x12.50 depending on wheel clearance with minimal trimming.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

then go with 4:56s
Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 PM

You sound like a guy who wants to do it right... Don't even mess around with a TC drop. Order an SYE at the same time you order your lift. If you already have that's great...
Mike
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM

i havent ordered the lift yet, i was goin to in the beginning of the new year. but ive heard alot of talk about an SYE but i have no idea what it is. so, what is it? and whats the benifit of using that over a TC drop kit? cuz the drop kit comes with the lift.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Slip Yoke Eliminator. Others can chime in here or you can do a search for SYE using the search feature...
Sorry to leave you hanging but I have to go pick someone up. I'll check in later.
Mike
Old 11-09-2009, 06:37 PM

oh yeah. im gettin one of those as well. if i install both will it cause a problem? the TC drop kit and the SYE that is.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

If you use the SYE, don't use the TC drop you wont need it.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by invictus89
i havent ordered the lift yet, i was goin to in the beginning of the new year. but ive heard alot of talk about an SYE but i have no idea what it is. so, what is it? and whats the benifit of using that over a TC drop kit? cuz the drop kit comes with the lift.
Hey guys.. good questions & good answers. I agree with the SYE kit (slip yoke eliminator). JSYK.. in a severe droop off road, your drive shaft can pull out of the transfer case, the SYE kit wont let that happen. You will need to look at getting a custom telescoping drive shaft.. google Tom Woods drive shaft.. OR what I did was have Rubicon Express send me what I needed when I got the lift.. SYE too. But (as you said you like doing things right), anything over a 4.5 becomes a chase all over every component of the truck reinforcing the weak spots. I run 4.56 gears with 35 inch tires so I was thinking they might be a little much for 32s. If its a daily driver you might want 4.11 gears..

BTW, look at quadratec for their transfer case with the SYE already installed.. comes w/ a warrenty and you will know its done right + piece of mind on the trail.

Hey MIKE.. I installed 4.56s by a recomendation on a forum.. should I have gone steeper?

thanks much
Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by trapper
Hey guys.. good questions & good answers. I agree with the SYE kit (slip yoke eliminator). JSYK.. in a severe droop off road, your drive shaft can pull out of the transfer case, the SYE kit wont let that happen. You will need to look at getting a custom telescoping drive shaft.. google Tom Woods drive shaft.. OR what I did was have Rubicon Express send me what I needed when I got the lift.. SYE too. But (as you said you like doing things right), anything over a 4.5 becomes a chase all over every component of the truck reinforcing the weak spots. I run 4.56 gears with 35 inch tires so I was thinking they might be a little much for 32s. If its a daily driver you might want 4.11 gears..

BTW, look at quadratec for their transfer case with the SYE already installed.. comes w/ a warrenty and you will know its done right + piece of mind on the trail.

Hey MIKE.. I installed 4.56s by a recomendation on a forum.. should I have gone steeper?

thanks much

so with the lift will my stock driveshafts not work?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by invictus89
so with the lift will my stock driveshafts not work?
Likely it will be okay unless you plan on some twisty offroading with drop offs and over the nose off camber stuff... which lets be honest.. that will be your first time out on the trail ..

I would get a telescoping driveshaft made at a local shop.. you dont need to get name brand to be right and it will cost less.. besides "custom" sounds better on your up-grade list.

Put your old one back in for now and if you feel the rear end chatter.. you will just have to make the move.

Look up heavy equipment mechanics and they will know of a good local guy.. thats how I found my guy.

BTW~ have the local guy measure up your truck.. dont trust measuring something like that if you dont know you know it... it if you know what I saying..

Good luck

Last edited by trapper; 11-10-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

OK...the stock rear driveshaft does not do well over a certain amount of lift. Newer xj's will get vibrations with as little as 2" of lift, while older xj's can get away with a bit more. Best way to solve this problem is with an sye and double cardon driveshaft.

here is what the stock output shaft on the transfercase looks like (with driveshaft removed):

here is the performance offroad's sye installed on mine:

As you can see it is quite a bit shorter (the yoke isnt installed yet by the way)...this allows you to run a longer driveshaft, so the angles arent as severe...thus getting rid of the vibrations. Transfercase drop just lowers the crossmembers....its just a bandaid over the issue, and its actually lowering a section of your jeep (good place to get hung up on when 4wheeling). This SYE actually allows the use of the cherokee's front driveshaft in the rear...so the same shaft is used front/rear.

As far as gears, if you think you will end up at 33's...go with 4.56's, higher than that, 4.88's.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM

01limitedxj, when you get the yoke installed can you post some pics? thanks.

Quick Reply: lift soon,....what gear ratio will i need?