Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Left idling

Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Left idling

So I just got my 2001 cherokee with only 93k miles on it, has a 3" lift with 31's on it. The previous owner had a dog and it had a slight scent still remaining in the car even after I steam cleaned the carpets and seats. I work at a BMW dealership and asked my manager if I could use his air ionizer. He told me to let it run for 2-3 hours in the jeep with it on. I had the A/C on to recirculate the air in the cab. After a couple of hours I checked on it and the Temp gauge was at 240F and the check gauges light was on. I quickly turned it off and came back to it about 2 hours later. Started up no problems and the engine temperature was back to it's normal 210 degrees. Keep in mind it was in the upper 80's lower 90's outside. Took it to the car wash after work and brought it home afterwards. Several hours later I went to go check on it again and the hood still felt very hot. The latch was hot enough that I had to take my fingers off it. No coolant leaks but the power steering cap was a little wet looking, not sure if this means anything. I guess what's strange is that the gauge reads the temp is fine but the engine is still very hot to the touch hours later. I guess what i'm asking is other than wasting gas did I damage or hurt anything? I don't want to loose sleep over this
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

might be time to check your coolant system. fan clutches, thermos, water pumps and heater core (though that wouldnt matter here) should all be checked for proper function.

now to the more distressing issue: do you have the 0331 head? and if so, is your head cracked? check your oil and coolant for contamination. hope its not this..
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Ayecarumba. Well, welcome to the forum lol, I hope you've read here before...

2000 and 2001 XJs have a defect in the head casting. When overheated, the head can crack. It is absolutely essential that you examine the coolant and oil immediately for signs of cross contamination. If you find one in the other you've cracked the head.

If you don't, you got lucky. Keep checking every day or two and maybe you'll stay lucky. Cooling system maintenance was never a high priority for most previous XJ owners, there are millions of the things out there and you can bet a number of owners thought they were maintenance-free. Probably everything needs replacing.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

you might have cracked that head

0331 head is what you have

if you cracked it...i would get a new one on..and drain all your oil and start fresh

pressure test your head