Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leak and noise from front axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992, 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default Leak and noise from front axle

So a few days my front D30 got new seals and bearings professionaly installed at a 4x4 shop. Yesterday I drove 2 hours away to get my new bumper. On the way home I heard a noise andpulled off and saw this(pic). Posted on ask question thread and was told they installed pinion seal wrong, redused crush sleeve, or didnt tighten down enough. Called the guy up nicely and told him, and he said bring it in. Get on highway and I can hear noice over my load sterio. Will it damage the gears or anything since its leaking? as of now its not dripping, but should he pay to have it towed? I have $5 to my name at the moment and no pan, fluid, or seal to pull cover off. Shop is a good 40min away highway driving. I don't wanna go balistic on him till its fixed because if anything is damaged I'd want him to replace it first, not turn his head. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Leak and noise from front axle-leak1.jpg   Leak and noise from front axle-leak3.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Any damage done is on him due to improper installation. You can ask him to have it towed but he will try to get you to pay it. If something does go wrong on yoyur way there and he does not want to do anything about the problem he created you can just take him to small claims court. Thats just my opinion
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Will he have to fix it or can I take it to a local shop that I know and trust and give him the bill? I have a feeling if I let him have it he'll just redo whats leaking and top it off, not fix anything broken.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by 99rockies
Will he have to fix it or can I take it to a local shop that I know and trust and give him the bill? I have a feeling if I let him have it he'll just redo whats leaking and top it off, not fix anything broken.
Very very True. I do not trust alot of shops so i usually do the work myself (Main reason why i am in an auto technician apprenticeship) but if you have a shop you trust take it there
Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Jeeps gettin towed but by AAA he wouldn't man up to it. Know im gonna get alot of **** from my friends who wheel fords and chevys but o well. Am I able to stay at the shop and watch him open up the cover to make sure theres nothing wrong with the gears? Will I be able to tell instantly or? never opened up the cover before
Old 06-15-2010, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

I would insist on watching it being opened up. Any serious damage should be easy to spot like large metal chunks in the fluid or lots of metal shavings or something of that sort...inspect the gears too if you can any chips or busted gear teeth would constitute replacment. Good luck!