Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leak near the bell housing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leak near the bell housing.

I was for certain that this leak was the rear main seal. But im not so sure now. Their is always a drop on the bottom of the bell housing and the pan, and it doesnt leak when its not running. The fluid looks to be oil (blackish), if i put the drop on my finger it does have a little oily feel to it but it doesnt smell like oil, it doesnt smell like much of anything. Could it be water mixed with oil and dirt from the outside of the block.

It does smell like coolant and oil sometimes when it gets hot.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

My 96 did this and it was the rear main.Check the oil filter for looseness and your o-rings on filter adapter and rear of valve cover before you tear into the main.Those are the most common areas for leaks .
Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

A rear main seal leak would leave drops of oil on the bell housing and the rear of the oil pan, like you said yours does. If you drive through puddles on a regular basis it could possibly be water mixed with the dirt and oil on the side of your engine, but that would also leave similar drops elsewhere under the engine bay.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

[QUOTE=offroadnut36;550714]A rear main seal leak would leave drops of oil on the bell housing and the rear of the oil pan, like you said yours does.
Back of the valve cover leaking can do this also.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by troy fritz
My 96 did this and it was the rear main.Check the oil filter for looseness and your o-rings on filter adapter and rear of valve cover before you tear into the main.Those are the most common areas for leaks .
My filter is not leaky but im unsure about the adapter and the valve cover.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Ya know I have this same issue. The only thing I haven't done yet is drop the tranny. My jeep has been sitting for almost 4 months now. I'm lost and no one could help when I asked so I'm at a loss. I can't pay anyone to do it so what do I do ya know? I wanna hear what everyone has to say about this one.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM

I forgot to mention that after i did an oil change, the leak stopped for a couple days. Im assuming the thicker new oil was more resiliant to leaks.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 83 CJ7 & '96 XJ & '97 XJ
Engine: 258ci, 4.0 & 4.0

Have you checked your dip stick, You need to do it in the morning when the engine is completely cold, see if it looks like just good oil or indications of water in the oil. You can check when it's hot but it won't always show up. I would put my money on a rear seal leak. Make sure water temp sending unit at the back of the valve cover and on the block is not leaking.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

[QUOTE=troy fritz;550717]
Originally Posted by offroadnut36
A rear main seal leak would leave drops of oil on the bell housing and the rear of the oil pan, like you said yours does.
Back of the valve cover leaking can do this also.
True, but the VC leaking wouldn't make the fly wheel access plate( i think its called?) wet with oil. Yes I know he didn't say it was wet, but I also didn't say it was his RMS that was the definite leak spot.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lliamsdad
Ya know I have this same issue. The only thing I haven't done yet is drop the tranny. My jeep has been sitting for almost 4 months now. I'm lost and no one could help when I asked so I'm at a loss. I can't pay anyone to do it so what do I do ya know? I wanna hear what everyone has to say about this one.
Pull the inspection cover off the tranny and see if there is oil on the bottom inside the bell housing.If there is then you have a bad rear main.They are easy to do.Mine went bad about 3 weeks ago . I did it myself and costed me about $50.This was the first time I ever did one and never saw it done.Make sure you have the torque specs for everything.It took me about 6 to 8 hours.After your done then dicconect the coil wire and turn the engine over for 5 to 10 seconds.Do this 5 to 6 times or til you get pressure.Thats how I primed mine and it worked great.Good luck guys.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by davida
Have you checked your dip stick, You need to do it in the morning when the engine is completely cold, see if it looks like just good oil or indications of water in the oil. You can check when it's hot but it won't always show up. I would put my money on a rear seal leak. Make sure water temp sending unit at the back of the valve cover and on the block is not leaking.
So far I have had Zero indications that theirs a mix of water and oil anywhere. Ive checked the dipstick and under the cap and no water. The coolant is dirty and rusty (junk radiator) but oil free.

Last edited by miglia-spyder; 05-25-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lliamsdad
Why would you drop the tranny? You think your trans is leaking?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

[QUOTE=offroadnut36;550735]

True, but the VC leaking wouldn't make the fly wheel access plate( i think its called?) wet with oil. Yes I know he didn't say it was wet, but I also didn't say it was his RMS that was the definite leak spot.
Nor did I.I'm not trying to argue ,I'm just trying to help. Please don't take offense to anything I say.I don't mean anything by it.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 83 CJ7 & '96 XJ & '97 XJ
Engine: 258ci, 4.0 & 4.0

Originally Posted by davida
I mention the water because you said you may have seen some on your Bell Housing
Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Nor did I.I'm not trying to argue ,I'm just trying to help. Please don't take offense to anything I say.I don't mean anything by it.
Nor am I. Same here

Quick Reply: Leak near the bell housing.