Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaf springs

So I read the whole JY thread and did a little searching to no avail. I have the typical saggy leafs on the back of my 2000 sport. I was thinking of doing a shackle lift to make it ride level till I get around to lifting, which brings me to my question. When looking at new stock leaf springs there are two options. One is common and the other I was told was not so common. The less common one has two more inches of arc which would make it sit higher correct? Did some cherokees sit taller from the factory? If so, why is this not mentioned for JY lifts? Asking because I would like to order new leafs and then make a bastard pack using the old ones for added height. Thanks for helping the noob.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Yes, the rear leafs where offered in three sizes. Standard most commonly used (4" arch), Heavy Duty usually came with the towing pkg (5" arch). And Off Road which came with the up country pkg (6.5" arch). The Up Country pkg. equipped XJ sits 1.5" taller than the others.
Here is a site with PDF format Mopar - Chrysler OEM parts catalogs for your year XJ. Down load a copy for yourself. These are handy because they show exploded views of every thing. Not just for the part numbers.http://www.xjjeeps.com/ And it is FREE. If you look through the catalog, under suspension there the three sizes are listed. Here is another site that, if you fill it out. Asking for your org. build sheet, they will e-mail it back in a few days. they will tell everything your XJ came with. http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 05-24-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I dont know if this helps as I am a newbie as well, but I just replaced my sagging springs with some inexpensive OEM replacements I found online. They look great, and lifted the rear end nicely, now Ill just hope they last. Here is the link if you are interested.
Amazon.com: Dorman 929-301 Leaf Spring for Jeep Cherokee, Pack of 1: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 929-301 Leaf Spring for Jeep Cherokee, Pack of 1: Automotive
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Yes, the rear leafs where offered in three sizes. Standard most commonly used (4" arch), Heavy Duty usually came with the towing pkg (5" arch). And Off Road which came with the up country pkg (6.5" arch). The Up Country pkg. equipped XJ sits 1.5" taller than the others.
Here is a site with PDF format Mopar - Chrysler OEM parts catalogs for your year XJ. Down load a copy for yourself. These are handy because they show exploded views of every thing. Not just for the part numbers.http://www.xjjeeps.com/ And it is FREE. If you look through the catalog, under suspension there the three sizes are listed. Here is another site that, if you fill it out. Asking for your org. build sheet, they will e-mail it back in a few days. they will tell everything your XJ came with. http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U
Wow, thanks for all that info! I will have to spend some time going through it all on the home computer. Hard to read that stuff on the phone. Thanks again.