Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Labor cost for a 3" rough country lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Labor cost for a 3" rough country lift

Hello everyone, i just joined the forum since i bought my second jeep cherokee.

Im buying the RC 3" lift (i just want to clear some 265/75 R16 without trimming)
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

It says 3-4 hours install time.
I would much rather pay someone to install it for me but i don't have a clue as to how much this runs and i don't want to get ripped off.
What is the range i should be looking to pay for this kind of labor? What is the max i should pay?
Thanks.

It's for a 2001 cherokee 2WD

Last edited by pootie tang; 04-09-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM
RLR

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

dont waste your money... everyone will tell you the same. its very simple, and if you ever get stuck there are hunderds of places online with detailed instructions and pictures to help you along, as well as everyone on here. Not to mention you wull learn how you jeep suspension works wich will only benefit you down the road. but if you MUST pay someone expect to pay almost as much as the lift at some places. but im telling you it is very easy.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
RLR

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

P.S. for the price of the lift you can find a 4x4 xj
Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

DO IT YOURSELF, it almost never pays to have someone else work on a vehicle, unless it is covered under a factory warranty, lifts are NOT.

Plan on paying for 8-10 hours labor at a shop, $400-1000 depending on hourly rates charged. Shop time is determined on each individual step in a process independent from the others. In theory you could do a lift in the 3-4 hours RC say, but it take most people 8 hour at a minimum the first time.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by pootie tang
Hello everyone, i just joined the forum since i bought my second jeep cherokee.

Im buying the RC 3" lift (i just want to clear some 265/75 R16 without trimming)
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

It says 3-4 hours install time.
I would much rather pay someone to install it for me but i don't have a clue as to how much this runs and i don't want to get ripped off.
What is the range i should be looking to pay for this kind of labor? What is the max i should pay?
Thanks.

It's for a 2001 cherokee 2WD
Do you plan to ever take it off-road? DIY will give you the experience to fix what breaks on the trail.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

and shops have a set rate, no matter how long it takes them, your paying xxx amount. it takes about a saturday to put one on by myself taking my time so figure 4 hours at a shop at probably 75 to 100 and hour after everything is said and done
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Well i have never done a lift before but i am very good at following directions/instructions. I have a limited tool set (but it actually is a mechanic tool set), would i need any special tools (beside wrenches/drill or normal tools)? If you all think its easy and there are plenty of guides i think i might be up for the challenge lol.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Default It's never as simple as the instructions indicate

I put the same lift on my truck a few years back. The first thing you must do is get a can of PB Blaster. Spray every nut and bolt you'll be removing and let it soak for a few days. I broke the rear shock mount bolts clean off when I tried to remove them. This required cutting out 4 inch by 6 inch holes in the floor of the cargo area and welding in new nuts to the frame. Big pain in the ***.
As far as tools go, (besides the obvious) you'll prob need a set of spring compressors in order to get the front springs off, a torque wrench, and a breaker bar. I also recall having to use a slide hammer to get the rear leaf spring bolts out. Maybe my jeep was fighting me more than others, but removing stock parts that have been on the truck for 8 or 9 years can be a tough job. Plan on it taking a whole weekend and about a case of beer. get a buddy to help. Don't let this prevent you from tackling it. The more you work on the jeep, the better. You'll start to understand how it works and how to diagnose problems. Good Luck
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

if u didnt live in LA i'd help lol
Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

Yeah I plan and putting that lift kit on myself soon. FYI you can get it about 60 bucks cheaper including shipping and all on ebay, talk to topguncustomz thats his ebayer name.

PB blaster is much your friend.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by darknezz
Yeah I plan and putting that lift kit on myself soon. FYI you can get it about 60 bucks cheaper including shipping and all on ebay, talk to topguncustomz thats his ebayer name.

PB blaster is much your friend.

Good luck.
I actually did just buy it on ebay but i think from a rough country vendor cause the user name was something like RC_ something and it has their number on the listing and warranty info and what not.
Got it for $255 plus $35 shipping but im getting 8% cashback from bing so not too bad.

I couldn't find any manuals on this install though :-|
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Well i have never done a lift before but i am very good at following directions/instructions. I have a limited tool set (but it actually is a mechanic tool set), would i need any special tools (beside wrenches/drill or normal tools)? If you all think its easy and there are plenty of guides i think i might be up for the challenge lol.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
You can install the lift with a basic wrench and socket set, PB Blaster, 2 C-clamps and the stock jack if you want to, I have. Of course jack stands, floor jack, spring compressor and air tools will make it go faster.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

I actually did just buy it on ebay but i think from a rough country vendor cause the user name was something like RC_ something and it has their number on the listing and warranty info and what not.
Got it for $255 plus $35 shipping but im getting 8% cashback from bing so not too bad.

I couldn't find any manuals on this install though :-|

Rough Country has all the instructions for their stuff on the web site for download. Acctually instructions from ANY lift kit will work.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Yeah i seen those instructions on the website but for some reason they don't have the one for the 3 inch lift. :-/ maybe they think its that easy lol.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

find out how much a shop will charge you to put in new rear shocks, if it's not much, do everything else and get the rear shocks done in a shop. it will save you a ton of headache.

Quick Reply: Labor cost for a 3" rough country lift