Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6
Default Keyed

My jeep got keyed long story (let me know if you guys want the full story) Anywho jeep got keyed its not to bad i don't know anything about paint and such so i was hoping you guys could help. My girlfriend has the camera but ill take a picture as soon as i can, tomorrow at the latest.
Advance Thanks, Dillon

Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's all the way through the paint, there's not much you can do. Try some touch up paint, but the same thing happened to me years ago, and the TU paint made it look worse!! Sorry for the crummy news!! FWIW, I think attacking somebody's vehicle is just about the most chicken s**t thing a person can do. The only reason someone would do that, is that they don't have the stones to say something to you face to face!!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:31 PM

can a detail shop fix it?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Sadly there are way too many ****ty people like that out there. Sorry your XJ got keyed man. If the scratches aren't past the clear coat, they could probably be buffed out. If they are through the clear and it's bad enough... just rattle can it!!! Flat Black rules!!!

It'd be worth having a detail shop check it out. I used to work at a detail shop and had to buff many, many, many vehicles.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

hey guy sorry to hear about the jeep...people have been screwing with my vehicles for months now but thats another story...i had an f-150 that got keyed really bad and i went to ford an bought the touch up paint but the paint was crap, the color didn't even come close ot matching and it spred like rubber cement...as soon as u touched it it came off so if i were you i would stay away from touch up paint...hope i helped and good luck!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

oh yea i completely forgot... Nu Finish makes a wax type thing that removes almost all scratches that aren't deep...the ones that are deep make them less noticeable and it actually works really well
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boardmanXJ
hey guy sorry to hear about the jeep...people have been screwing with my vehicles for months now but thats another story...i had an f-150 that got keyed really bad and i went to ford an bought the touch up paint but the paint was crap, the color didn't even come close ot matching and it spred like rubber cement...as soon as u touched it it came off so if i were you i would stay away from touch up paint...hope i helped and good luck!
You get the right stuff? I had touch up matching paint for my dodge dakota and it was the exact match and painted on just like all paints do. Of course you could visibly see the painted part cuz there was no clear coat on it. I would paint it with the touch up and then paint it with gf's clear nailpolish stuff as a protective coating.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 PM

It doesn't seem that deep if i kinda scratch at it it wont stop my finger nail i can just feel a slight bump
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Try some of that nu-finish stuff first if that doesn't work, it should buff out.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

if it dosnt catch your nail try buffing it out if its still there you could wet sand and buff, with a realy fine grit paper it shouldnt go through the clear then when you buff it it will bring the shine back
Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

I used to do detail work at a used car lot (actually where i got my xj...) i would definatly try the buffing FIRST (preferably with a rotary buffer if you have access to one)if that dont work to at least lighten it up then light wet sand and buff and if that dont work, take the paint code off the sticker with the tire information (pressure and load and what not on the drivers door) the code is usually after PNT on the sticker on mine it happens to be right under the bar code thing on that sticker.....and mine is a 99 so it may differ on the year anyways the code will be in the format of PNT:xxx take the code (the x's) and go to napa, tell them you need a bottle of touch up paint with that code (they may ask for year make model and color such as blue black what ever) and get some touch up paint brushes from them (they come in a tube and look like yellow toothpicks with a white ball of fuzz on them) they work AWESOME for scratches such as you have.....or if you cant find that code they have a gun thing that they can scan your car with and that picks up the code....to the exact color, at least my local napa does....anywho after getting the paint touch up the scratch, let it dry, wet sand and buff more....just make sure not to burn the clear coat while buffing.....and when the scratch is out make sure to go over it with a finish pad on the buffer......swirl marks look just as bad on vehicles as scratches :-/ finish it off with some good wax and that is pretty weak to be keying cars....such a shame...if you need more info or tips on anything let me know
Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Well he needs a new front door and a girlfriend because i made him look like a little ***** in from of her what is the most expansive way to get it fixed?

Last edited by Dillon470; 02-07-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dillon470
Well he needs a new front door and a girlfriend because i made him look like a little ***** in from of her what is the most expansive way to get it fixed?
How ?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM

I kicked his front door in and told him he is paying to get it fixed then he said he would be glad to.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dillon470
I kicked his front door in and told him he is paying to get it fixed then he said he would be glad to.
justice!!!!!! Make him paint the whole car. If not take it to a body shop and get some advice on which way is best!

Quick Reply: Keyed