Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Key stuck, Ignition cylinder fell out

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L I6
Default Key stuck, Ignition cylinder fell out

Hi all,

My key gets stuck in the ignition sometimes and I have to jiggle it to get it out. Sometimes the ignition cylinder comes out with it. Usually I am able to jiggle that back in but I am tired of this and want to fix the problem.

I am really clueless as to what's causing this. Some helpful facts: When I press my shift button, there is a click near the ignition cylinder but I don't see anything moving. Also, it looks like there is a broken part, this is with the ignition cylinder out. I was broken the first time I pulled it out, so I have now idea how it broke. (owned the jeep for about half a year). See pics.

So my two problems are: Ignition cylinder fell out, and key gets stuck in the ignition. Thanks a lot if anyone can help. This is driving me crazy.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You need a new housing installed in that column. Looks like at some point someone tried to jack that with a slide hammer.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
You need a new housing installed in that column. Looks like at some point someone tried to jack that with a slide hammer.
Yeah the previous owner jacked a lot of things with a hammer...
Is that something I can do myself?
And do you think it will fix both problems?
Thanks!
Also, is that something I could pull from a junkyard? im having a hard time finding one online..

Last edited by xjnm; 03-04-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to get lucky on a junkyard cause usually they sell the whole steering column as one but not impossible you might find one.

marc
Old 03-04-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by LadyKenai
you have to get lucky on a junkyard cause usually they sell the whole steering column as one but not impossible you might find one.

marc
Meaning you can't take it off the steering column or...? Cuz at my junkyard you just go in and take stuff off the cars and bring it to the counter and haggle for your price.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

That is not a pretty sight, knowing what it is going to take to replace that housing. Not knowing your mechanical ability, it is doable just not a beginner project. Google, jeep ignition lock housing, some useful websites for this replacement.
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...structions.php

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...parts/jeep.php

Now if ya wanna just jury rig it, no loss til it can be fixed right. Not going to be theft proof. Just looking to hold that lock cylinder in place. Looking at pic I see a few ideas. If that broken missing piece is still there, jb weld and wrap with thin wire. Should hold the lock cylinder in place. Second thought, put lock cylinder in housing then put a hose clamp on outside of metal housing, tighten slowly til lock cylinder stays in place when turned.

You may have a bad lock cylinder too, definitely a housing problem. Lock cylinder is cheap easy to find part.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjnm
Yeah the previous owner jacked a lot of things with a hammer...
Is that something I can do myself?
And do you think it will fix both problems?
Thanks!
Also, is that something I could pull from a junkyard? im having a hard time finding one online..
I haven't had mine apart yet but on most all other makes there are a couple rivets you have to drill out and replace with new to put a new housing on it. But once this is done the lock cylinder you have should install with a paper clip and work as it should.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Oswalla
That is not a pretty sight, knowing what it is going to take to replace that housing. Not knowing your mechanical ability, it is doable just not a beginner project. Google, jeep ignition lock housing, some useful websites for this replacement.

Now if ya wanna just jury rig it, no loss til it can be fixed right. Not going to be theft proof. Just looking to hold that lock cylinder in place. Looking at pic I see a few ideas. If that broken missing piece is still there, jb weld and wrap with thin wire. Should hold the lock cylinder in place. Second thought, put lock cylinder in housing then put a hose clamp on outside of metal housing, tighten slowly til lock cylinder stays in place when turned.

You may have a bad lock cylinder too, definitely a housing problem. Lock cylinder is cheap easy to find part.
Yep...
Old 03-04-2018, 06:07 PM

it is possible to replace that housing part ive replaced mine not so long ago myself, depends on the junkyard, if you do have this part you still need some tools like a steering wheel pulley if your steering wheel is on really tight i was able to take mine off without a pulley but you definitely need a lockplate pulley to get into the steering wheel column itself. there are some videos on youtube that go into this very detailed and help you through this.

- Marc
Old 03-04-2018, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjnm
Meaning you can't take it off the steering column or...? Cuz at my junkyard you just go in and take stuff off the cars and bring it to the counter and haggle for your price.
Thanks for the replies.
You make a very good point here... the housing might not be riveted on and might be cast as one piece into the whole housing assembly. This makes it a whole column change.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM

watch this video and then you know what you get yourself into:

marc
Old 03-04-2018, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

1998 Jeep Cherokee (except Grand Cherokee)
Steering Column

Steering Column Assembly
NO KEY $50Ed's Car Parts USA-NM(Clovis) Request_Quote 575-762-9157
Old 03-04-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oswalla

Ok thanks for all the replies guys. Im down for any repair really, after doing the heater core nothing interior really scares me. My main concern is that replacing this cylinder housing won't fix my problem of they key getting stuck sometimes. The broken piece is long gone, but I may try that hose clamp idea... kinda working on a budget... Do you guys think that if the cylinder is secure in place that my problem of the key getting stuck will go away?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:58 PM

Also I have the 98 cherokee so its not like the 89 in that video. Im not sure if thats good or bad. The ignition lock cylinder seems to work fine, key slides in and out like it should. My problem seems like its somewhere between the gearshift button and the ignition housing. And i dont care about it being stolen, theres like 1 car theft in my small town per decade or something lol.
Really can't afford to drop $180 on it so hoping to find an alternative. maybe pull one from the junkyard. I really just need to get it in there for now, and find out if securing the cylinder will fix my key stuck issue.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM

i couldnt say might just be funky tumblers in the cylinder itself

Last edited by LadyKenai; 03-04-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Key stuck, Ignition cylinder fell out