Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just picked up dana44 today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Just picked up dana44 today!

Just went and pulled a dana 44 i found at a JY the other day... Got it for $150 and his computer setup said one was $250 and another was $400... something about gearing... i printed a craigslist out of atlanta with one a guy was selling for $150 so he eventually gave in ...before i stick it under what are some good mods i should do? like disc brakes out of something else that will bolt up... stuff like that... also im not sure of the gearing in it... without a tag is there a way to check without pulling it apart? its not gonna hurt to be different from the front as long as im not in 4x4 and on the street right? safe on dirt though i think... just want to make sure... until i swap gears in anyway... also do i need to go back and get the driveshaft too? Im ready to get it under there but i want to make sure theres anything i should do first... Thanks for yalls time!!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

to check gear ratio turn the pinion and count how many turns it takes to get the axle to make one full revolution - make sure you have someone hold one axle. That is the easiest way to check ratio, without taking it apart.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

you shouldnt drive it without the same gears at all because in these trucks the fronthubs dont unlock hense the pinion will be turning there are a few different disk brake setups try searching on here or google to find them the driveshaft should be fine it will just slide into the output shaft a little farther
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
MJ>XJ

so what happens if the driveshaft spins like 3 and then just alittle bit to get the wheel to spin all the way around once? figure 3 and a half is probly 3.55 or something? heck if i cant drive it not even in 4x4 with it under there i may as well just wait to install till i get gears in both... and then ill have to open it up so i may as well count teeth... dang... i wanted it under my xj so bad... like NOW... lol... its been recently opened up so im wondering whats inside now anyway... would be awesome if it was locked... but i doubt it... lol
Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
MJ>XJ

i searched and only found one write up on brakes so far... but all he said was gm this and gm that... not good details like go pull this bracket off a 85 chevy blazer... or something... im still looking but would be sweet just to be told what i need and i go get it and stick it on... lol
Old 04-06-2009, 03:49 PM

im not positive but try looking up disk brake systems from isuzu rodeo they had dana 44s in the back for a while food for thought id check it ou my self but i have to leave like ten minutes ago. (edit) better yet see if the 8.8 set up will work just thought of that if you you now why or why not do that then I appologize

Last edited by 60Gritt; 04-06-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: new idea
Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
MJ>XJ

i know where a older isuzu is sitting and will check it out... but im not sure if the brackets would all fit up right just because its a dana 44... havent got a clue about the 8.8 rear disc and i guess is possible... what you said after that i couldnt really understand so hope its not a question... lol... ill check out that isuzu though... may work out?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM

sorry that was kind of a cluster f*** message i was really tired after work i was up for about 34 hours. any who it would depend on axle tube size i would think but not sure.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
MJ>XJ

yeah i think so too... mainly where the 4 studs are that you bolt the back shield and everything too... then theres axle lengths and bearing that might play... thats why i dont know... ive found alot on the internet of people doing the conversion but nobody days what the crap they got everything from... some even mix new parts with old and then its even more messed up and confusing... lol
Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM

yea it is. just keep looking around. try pirate4x4.com theres lots of conversions and stuff in there of this type but be carfull to SEARCH BEFOR YOU ASK ANY QUESTIONS IN THAT SITE they can be real ******** but they know there stuff
Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

Here is what I did to MY xj D44 to make it almost bomb proof. Went out and got the 30 spline Alloy USA kit for it. Make sure you Spec the Rubicon kit. Then go to A JY and get you a set of Disc brakes off of a ZJ. Order yourself a single retainer plate. Take new plates and disc brake moutning calipers to machine shop. Have new holes drilled for retainers. Have the center hole open up enough for the axle seal to slide through. Then wait for machine shop to have all said and done and assemble your axle. When I ordered my stuff I all ready had a 30 spline lock rite.. thats why I didnt upgrade to the 33 spline kit.

You can look at my webshots page or my buil on the turd on this forum to find out more info.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
MJ>XJ

cool beans... one question... whats the retainer plate and what do you mean by single retainer plate... the disc brakes you pulled were they front or did they have rear? what all did you pull? the caliplers, bracket the calipers attached to... backing plate behind all that? or maybe thats the retainer plate? also were you able to keep the emergency brake? cause i got a 5 speed and thats almost a must... since if i park on a hill in gear and itll still roll away... lol ill check out your build if i can find it... thanks man!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:29 AM
CF Veteran

You pull the rear brakes, and you pull everything thats not connected to the axle. That will give you e-brake cables you can use. The retainer plate is what actually holds the caliper backing plate to the axle. You need the rubicon one so you don't have to have a spacer machined.

Here is what the retainer plate looks like it has been redrilled, next to a XJ retainer plate

Here is what the backing plate and the retainer plate look like on the axle. Be advised once the axles are in place... it is hard to get to the studs. And the studs are just long enough for the procedure.

I also changed the proportioning valve spring. The one from a ZJ is much shorter then one from a XJ, and it seemed to stop better after.

I hope that answers all your questions. Since I dont have access to my old comp I cant pull up the link I used to do this swap
Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
MJ>XJ

sweet... ill probly be doing this then... question though where do you get the retainer plate for a rubicon? you mentioned to make sure you get the axle kit for a rubicon? does it come with the retainer plate i would need? or is it possible to get the retainer plates from somewhere so i can do disc brakes and then get stronger axles later? also i didnt see it the other day but the tag is still on my 44 and its got 3.54 gears... so it says... my xj's broke down on the other side of town till i get parts but i dont know what the ratio is in the front... would be awesome if they were the same... but doubt it... lol thanks for your time man! If you come up with that write up let me know so i can check it out since it looks like ill be building this axle over time before i install now... Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

You can get the plates from a dealership... think they are about 10 bucks a piece.

The reason why I say buy the Alloy USA kit, is the retainer and oil seal go on the other side of the bearing retainer ring. Most of the time you have to cut the old retainer ring, and the bearings off. THen you have to press all this stuff back on. The bearings at Napa are 45 a side, plus the oil retainer. So you are all ready at 100 bucks. My kit shipped to the house was 260.

ALso just so you know d35 C clip axles will bolt up to a D44, so if you were doing this swap to avoid buying new brakes this is another option.

As for your ratio, we need to know engine and trans combo so we can try and figure it out over the net.

Quick Reply: Just picked up dana44 today!