Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

just got a "new" 97 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default just got a "new" 97 cherokee

It's my first cherokee and I want to make sure I have it for a good long time. It's a white, 4.0, and has about 67,000 miles on it. What I need is advice on what I should do as a new owner to ensure it continues to run reliably and well. Now, outside of changing oil and usual uncomplicated maintenance, I don't know too much, keep that in mind, have mercy, and keep it simple. I am a hunter and I need fwd to get me out of where I go. The only thing I noticed so far, is that when I tested the fwd (had to test on dry pavement), it bucked a bit and the idiot lights did not go on in low or high. Is that normal (not the idiot lights, the bucking) when when on dry ground with no slip? If not what might it be, and is it an expensive fix?

thanks a lot for your time.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

the bucking is normal is you have the np231 TC. (the TC that doesnt have full time 4wd) and you should never drive on dry pavement with it.

as for your question about maintenance. tune up? (cap, rotor, plugs)
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 PM

Yeah... what he said. Don't use 4WD unless it's slippery out (either mud, snow, ice... etc). Rain doesn't really count unless it's freezing. It'll kill some of the mechanicals.

As for maintaining the vehicle...

If you don't have records from the previous owner, expect it to not have been done.

Basic tune-up items are a must: cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, filters (air, oil, fuel). Focus on any items that are broken, will cost you a lot of money to fix, or leave you stranded. Start with the things that need done and work your way done to the things you'd like to do.

Mine = rear hatch struts, oil change, bad window regulator, bad blower transistor, no working power locks, and power windows only from the driver's side, binding while making sharp turns, corroded grounds and battery.