Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just got my first jeep. - Experts weigh in -HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just got my first jeep. - Experts weigh in -HELP

Well I just got my first jeep!

Its a 1998 Cherokee Sport. Automatic, 4X4, 6 cyl. 116k on the odometer I paid 1500 bucks for the jeep. I think I got a good deal dispite the problems (see below)

The Good: recently painted, zero rust, 3'' Rustys lift kit, 31'' Tires, brand new wheel bearings.

The bad: Broken front drive shaft, Misfire code (P0302), front and rear windshield pumps are out, cracked windshield. Interior carpet is gone, and interior definitely needs some TLC.

The broken drive shaft is no big deal, especially since I'm getting a used one tomorrow for 75 bucks. The owner before me thought it was a drive shaft u joint problem and bought all new u joints to find out it was the velocity joint. I am going to be mating the new u joints with the used shaft tomorrow evening.

Well I wanted to get the misfire problems taken care of asap, so I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I was going to replace the distributor as well but advance auto parts gave me the wrong one. Lovely. I still have the problem so I'm going to exchange the distributor tomorrow. The jeep does not feel or sound like it has a miss so it might be an intermittant thing. Nothing like when I have seen other vehicles with a miss. Any ideas?

I replaced the front windshield washer fluid pump today, so I guess the back will be the next project. I just figured the front was more important than the back

Future plans: Water pump, water inlet, timing chain (with guide, and gaskets, distributor (maybe), accel coil, fuel filter, belt, air intake, bored tb., full drive train service, Carpet, and seats, differential covers, full spare, tow hooks, straps, fire extinguisher.

Anyone have any thoughts on my cel, and other suggestions on parts to upgrade or replace?

thanks

Last edited by kamonjj; 02-17-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 PM

sounds like you're on the right rack already. you could poor money in it for years and never be done. it all depends on how radical or conservative you want to go. take care of the nessasary things first like you are. check the brakes and change all the fluids and flush the cooling system.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Luckily it has a brand new radiator as well. The coolant will get flushed when I get the water pump installed this week.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 PM

Year: 2000

i think i had that code in my other 2 cars but i think that might be a 02 sensor but i could be wrong take it 2 advance or autozone and ask them 2 check it
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM

As far as the Misfire Code goes...

You could just have a sticky valve. i would try SeaFoam to correct the problem, before replacing parts.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/

that's what i would do!

It could very well be a simple ignition problem or a gummed-up O2 Sensor?

Last edited by guest02; 02-15-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Yeah I love seafoam. I'm definitely going to seafoam the motor inside the crank case, and oil. Additionally I'll put some in the gas as well.

Also forgot to mention, the fuel filter, thermostat, and serpentine belt will all be getting replaced as well. (I'm **** about car maintenance)
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: inline 6 HO

pulled my friends jeep out of storage and it was running really ruff, so we seafoamed it and put in some octan booster in it. it sounded like ww3 for like five minutes with the backfiring and such but after that ran fine and still is
Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 AM

Engine: 4.0 L

Kamongg,

You did reset the computer after doing the tune up right? It could be an old code stored in memory. If it is not rough you are probably not currently misfiring.

Do you keep resetting the computer and the check engine light keeps coming on?

Your code PO302 is a misfire in cylinder #2. So concentrate on that cylinder first. Check the plug and plug wire first switching them out use a backup or best to just buy new one to test cylinder #2.

Next if that doesn't stop it check out the fuel injector on cylder #2, or try one of the products above first.

Some Tips for your new Jeep:

Change your oil often 3,000-3,500.

Buy a new gas cap if the gas cap is not sealed your check engine light will come on. You need to put in on and click it 2 to 3 times to seal the pressurized fuel system.

Use lithium spray grease and grease the hatch on the rear liftgate before it seizes up. Grease only the hatch on the bottom of the door not the keyhole or the latch above the bumber.

Clean the Neutral Safety Switch interior contacts (lots of posts on this).

When you do your water pump order a Water Pump inlet tube (bypass hose) a metal part that does not come with your water pump $10.00 online. google Part # 53007978. Of course replace both main hoses, both heater hoses and get a new belt and thermostat.

Exhaust Manifold likely needs replacement when you smell exhaust.

Lastly repair only what needs to be repaired or you will get deep into your Jeep.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the weighing in.

I'll just give an update on todays adventure. I went to daveys jeeps near my house, and picked up a driveshaft and all the bolts for 75 bucks. I threw it in, and the 4wd works great! I intentionally got stuck in 2wd, and used 4wd to get me unstuck in the snow. Nothing major just enough to make sure it was working. Awesome stuff there.

I did not reset the computer but I have a scanner and I read and cleared the code. Should I still reset the computer? Do I just disconnect the battery? The plugs and wires are new on all cyl. In addition to the cap and rotor, I doubt its a problem with the plug or wire. I was throwing the same code prior to these parts going in. So I'm banking on it being the distributor.

I am changing the oil tomorrow. As always with all of my vehicles, add some lucas oil stabilizer to my oil. I am also adding lucas injector cleaner to the tank tomorrow when I fill up as well.

Tomorrow when I change my oil, I'll clean up the NSS connectors.

Additionally I will be picking up a new fuel filter tomorrow and throwing that in as well.

I love doing preventive maintenance.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM

I forgot to mention, that I did buy a new water inlet tube, belt, and thermostat. I did not buy new hoses though. I was thinking about it though.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

or since u dont feel a misfire anymore... you already fixed it and just havent erased the code... u know it wont just go away right?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 PM

I erased the code. It came back. I'm going to reset the ecu tomorrow for kicks when I do my oil change.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

hhmm... check your injectors wires too... read some people having issues with them frying and causing a misfire code...
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 PM

Well I changed my oil today, worked on the interior and inspected the engine bay more. Turns out that I may have to replace the valve cover gasket, and flush the coolant.

The valve cover is or was leaking a small amount of oil new the rear of the car. The previous owner was using 5w20 oil. I was wondering why my pressure was beginning to drop off. When the jeep was warming up it was around 40, then it would continue to drop off to almost 10. Now it stays 40-50 when driving and around 30 at idle. I used 5 qts 10w30 with 1 qt lucas oil stabilizer. The motor just sounds way different now at idle.

The previous owner said that radiator was brand new and I believed him (very clean with no bugs or bent fins). However, I don't think that he flushed the system too well when changing it because it does have some sluge built up in the radiator. I'm going to flush it well when I change the water pump next week.

I ordered a new ignition coil as well. An accel. Its on its way from summit so that will probably go in next week sometime.

I am debating on weather to just herculine the floor or just get carpet for it. Anyone have any suggestions on that? Herculiner kit approx 90 bucks, full carpet 230. Carpet is quieter, and warmer. Herculiner, easier clean up and cheaper.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Quick Reply: Just got my first jeep. - Experts weigh in -HELP