Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jovie's got a doctor's appointment: Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9
Default Jovie's got a doctor's appointment: Questions.

Ok, so I have the next two days off and I've decided to spend them with my Jeep, because she desperately needs it.
On the agenda:
-Liftgate latch rebuild. I'll let you know how THAT goes.
-A/C UV dye fill and repair.
-Passenger side door torn down and fixed (Manual door lock, window track, power window switch)
-New Header, maybe?
-An incredibly detailed interior cleaning.
-Front end alignment (to be done by a real profesional.)

So, I know that the passenger window switch is going to be a mess. Has anyone dealt with this before? The driver side switch does roll it down. Is there a solution that doesn't involve buying a brand new part?

Jovie says thanks:

"Thanks."
Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

If you can open up the switch unit, you can use a point file (small, fine, flat file) to clean the contacts in it - usually.

If you can tear it apart enough to handle the contacts separately, a could of quick passes on 600-grit backed up by a wooden block works well also.

Clean the thing with aerosol contact cleaner before you put it back together (if you can't get contact cleaner, you can use brake cleaner. Don't use anything else - it leaves a residue. Especially WD-40! I've made a fair bit of dosh over the years cleaning WD-40 off of electrical contacts for people who didn't know any better.

(While I don't mind fixing things for money, I don't like having to fix things that aren't broken because somebody didn't know any better...)
Old 07-12-2011, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Man just pick up some.switches at a you pull it.... much much easier and cheap. In my drinkin days I picked up all of em for free... wouldn't do that these days. Try to live life as an honest man.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Update:

Tore into the door with the best of intentions. The A-Hole who the PO hired to do the speakers stripped every screw and shattered the armrest around the holes, lost about half of the little clip things that hold the panel on.
My window is fixed. I have that going for me. And I figured out how to fix the manual door lock. However, now the automatic door locks are all not working from any door, my door panel scrapes against the pillar when I open it, and to top it off I glued my mirror mount on backwards. All in all, I'm at negatve progress for the day. Header swap definitely not happening this week. I'm never ever working on the Jeep in this kind of weather ever again:
Weather at a Glance
Updated 3 min 31 sec ago
Weather Station
Ft. Russell, Leslie

Elevation
690 ft

Station Select

Now

Partly Cloudy

Temperature
101.9 °F
Feels Like 122 °F

Wind(mph)

Sunrise / Set
5:51 AM
8:30 PM

Moon
Waxing Gibbous
More Astronomy
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

For the door locks and window switches:
Peel back the rubber boot that goes between the door and jamb above the bottom hinge and look for broken or frayed wires
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

(huh.)

I tore back into the door. got the door locks to work, fixed the hitting and managed to get the window back on track, for almost exactly 38 minutes. Then it started to rain, so I went to roll it up and lo and behold, the piece of sh** wouldn't roll up but about half way. Now I'm at exactly where I started, just incredibly disillusioned with the idea of things like power door locks and windows. Plus, it was so hot that the local shop who I was going to have read the UV dye test on my A/C... is closed due to the heat.

Thanks to all who have helped with your advice; I'm leaning on it during Jovie's various surgical procedures.

In conclusion:

Last edited by Jmb94; 07-12-2011 at 08:19 PM.