Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

JKS Bar Pin Eliminator Mounted Upside Down - Is it Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default JKS Bar Pin Eliminator Mounted Upside Down - Is it Possible?

Just put in a set of JKS bar pin eliminators and shock conversions. My shocks were a little on the long side before, and now are definitely too long, only about 2.5" of up travel. (4.5" lift with Rancho RS999010 16.125 - 26" length). Question, can I flip over the BPE's and mount them on bottom side of the shock mounting pad? Looks like the clearance might be tight, I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this?

I'm planning on giving this a try tonight if I don't hear from anyone. I'd be bummed if I have to spend an other $200 just to get shorter shocks with 2" less travel...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6

u could always just not use them for the time being
Old 12-11-2010, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Short answer, no it doesn't work.

I only tried it on the passenger side, but the eye on the rancho shock interferes with the lower control arm mount. I thought that all I'd have to do is put a chamfer on the BPE, but once I got the shock in there I realized that the eye just wasn't going to line up.

If you were really determined and wanted to modify the shock mount on the axle, redrill holes, maybe bend in the LCA mount it might be possible, but I'm not that determined.

Right now I have 3" of up travel and 5" of down. I'm limited by my control arms hitting the axle. I figure when I install drop brackets that I'll get even more down travel, and maybe I'll lift it 1 more inch. That way I'll have 4" of up travel and maybe 6 inches of down which seems pretty good.

Definitely need to increase my bump stops though, right now I bottom the shocks 1.5" before I hit the bump stop.