Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

JeepSpeed Challenge lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JeepSpeed Challenge lifts ?'s. . .strength, durability, & reliability???

I've looked at the sticky's and at the Technical write ups. . .now I have a question. . .which system(s) woud you guys suggest for the JeepSpeed series? and why?

I know that there were a lot of teams that were running SkyJacker at the beginning of the series but now there is a lot more available. . .I've been seeing some "readily available, bolt-on aftermarket" systems that are more focused on the JeepSpeed series now. . .like T&J Performance with their JeepSpeed package that is specifically aimed out the JeepSpeed series (but which comes with a whole lot more than just the suspension as well).

So which lifts (let's say in the 4.5-6.5" lift range) would be best suited to the type of driving that XJ's in the JeepSpeed series would be exposed to? Specifically which ones have better features and/or stronger components between let's say the Rusty's OffRoad 6.5" long travel kit, RE 5.5" Extreme Duty long arm kit, Full Traction 6" long arm kit, and T&T Customs 5.5" Y-link kit.

It appears that T&T Custom's has the most complete kit, but I know nothing about this company. . .I have read one JeepSpeed thread on Race-Dezert.com that threw away a set of the Rusty's 8" long arm kit as well as a set of RE drop brakcets and adjustable control arms away in favor of the "stronger" Full-Traction arms.

Thanks,

Last edited by atomicjoe23; 02-11-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

full traction for speed, 4 links to take the load, consistent caster throughout range of travel.

bds also wouldnt be a bad option.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
full traction for speed, 4 links to take the load, consistent caster throughout range of travel.

KTMRacer,

could you clarify what you mean here. . .are you suggesting Full Traction components for the front and a 4-link for the rear and that the 4-link will give consistent camber throughout the range of travel or that the Full Traction kit will give consistent camber throughout the range of travel (I thought that camber was only for the front end?)?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 AM

Default Jeepspeed Suspension

Hi all.

Newbie here. Nice board. I too am more interested in Jeepspeed spec/build. I like to get into the discussion as well. I have had trouble getting the skinny on the specs. What is the cost of the "official" spec manual?

I enjoy fabricating as much as I can on my own. I would like to know how this will fit in with Jeepspeed?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The first thing i would do is focus on trussing the axles and strengthening them. The 30/8.25 combo is pretty decent but i dunno how they will hold up to speed bashing and jumps. For instance, there's some issues with the control arm brackets cracking or tearing off so that is one place i'd beef up on the dana 30.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by atomicjoe23
KTMRacer,

could you clarify what you mean here. . .are you suggesting Full Traction components for the front and a 4-link for the rear and that the 4-link will give consistent camber throughout the range of travel or that the Full Traction kit will give consistent camber throughout the range of travel (I thought that camber was only for the front end?)?
sorry i missed this, but i said "caster" not "camber" camber isnt adjustable on a solid axled vehicle.

consistent caster is pretty much needed if your into high speed stuff cycling the suspension constantly. if you had say a y link or radius arm style, your caster will be fine at ride height, but as the suspension droops your caster becomes negative as its compressed it becomes more positive. a negative caster will give you a lose feeling steering and it won't track straight.

if you had a 3 link suspension, it's just like a 4 link only with one upper control arm, if you break a control arm or mounting point, your stuck in the desert. of course you can build this setup as strong as you want and will have no problems. but most will opt for the 4 link, because of the other link and when hitting obstacles at speed the load will be distributed more evenly, resulting in less stress on that one upper link.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I say BDS they have real "Beefy" strong stuff and a no fine print warrenty if anything breaks..