Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is this jeep worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is this jeep worth buying?

I have never owned a Jeep and dont know a whole lot about them but would like to learn. I have an opportunity to trade my 1996 dodge neon for a 1991 jeep cherokee laredo. It has some problems and would like to get some opinions on if it sounds like a bad jeep or not.

Problems with the Jeep:
starts to get hot when idling, drops right back down to normal when driving again. Not so much at stop lights but in a drive thru yes.

ABS light is on and the brakes have a vibrating feel in the pedal, and also dont work very well. I dont know if they just need to be redone or if its something more serious.

It leaks oil, of course, and I dont really know where its leaking from, but there is quite a bit of oil on the bottom of the engine.

Also there was oil on the rear differential or whatever its called. I dont know if that is something serious or not either. Thats all I can really think of, other than that it is in good shape though.

Also, there are 157k miles on it. Does this sound like stuff that I could fix or have my dad help me fix easily? or is it doomed and something to stay away from? I need a vehicle that is reliable and cant have it breaking down on me.

Any input is very much appreciated, thank you.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jordanbb
I have never owned a Jeep and dont know a whole lot about them but would like to learn. I have an opportunity to trade my 1996 dodge neon for a 1991 jeep cherokee laredo. It has some problems and would like to get some opinions on if it sounds like a bad jeep or not.

Problems with the Jeep:
starts to get hot when idling, drops right back down to normal when driving again. Not so much at stop lights but in a drive thru yes.

How hot does it get? Mines goes to around 215-220 at idle and just below 210 while driving. That's normal.

ABS light is on and the brakes have a vibrating feel in the pedal, and also dont work very well. I dont know if they just need to be redone or if its something more serious.

Your rotors are probably warped and need replaced, along with the brake pads. The lack of maintenance on the brake could've caused the abs sensor to not function correctly. This isn't an expensive fix and a brake job is quite easy.

It leaks oil, of course, and I dont really know where its leaking from, but there is quite a bit of oil on the bottom of the engine.

It is more likely leaking from the rear main seal. This is a time consuming but relatively easy job. The oil pan has to be removed to get to the seal and it's a messy job. Another possibility is the valve cover gasket. This is much easier to replace than the rear main seal and is a very common leak. It usually leaks towards the back of the valve cover and runs down the rear of the engine.

Also there was oil on the rear differential or whatever its called. I dont know if that is something serious or not either. Thats all I can really think of, other than that it is in good shape though.

Is it leaking on the rear cover or front where the driveshaft connects? If it's the rear then it's a simple seal fix. You remove the cover, scrape off old gasket, put a bead of RTV around the mating surface and reinstall cover. One hour fix, or 30 min if you do it often. If it's leaking from the front then it may be a bad pinion seal which is something you shouldn't tackle unless you have experience with. Torquing the bolt properly is very important on this job.

Also, there are 157k miles on it. Does this sound like stuff that I could fix or have my dad help me fix easily? or is it doomed and something to stay away from? I need a vehicle that is reliable and cant have it breaking down on me.

175k in human time is 55 years old so you got quite some life left in it. Although it won't be 100% reliable cuz of it's age (things go bad no matter what vehicle it is) it should be pretty efficient and get you to and from without many major repairs but it all depends on how well it was taken care of previously.

Any input is very much appreciated, thank you.
Hope that helps
Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by muddeprived
Hope that helps
Yes that does help, Im not sure how hot it gets I havent driven it that much. But the gauge was dead center and at a really long red light it barely went up, then as soon as i hit the gas it cooled down. Im also going to have to check out the differential more, Im pretty sure the oil was just on the back. I thought it was easy I kind of searched around and saw its a simple fix. Is there an easy way to tell where its leaking from? There is a lot of oil all over everything and I dont own it yet so I cant really clean it all up then wait for it to leak.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

I agree with all the above, and am just going to add my experience FWIW...

I replaced the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, installed new oil pump, oil filter bracket seal, and front and rear differential gaskets/RTV in a day. I took my time, played with the dogs, stopped for an enjoyable lunch ete etc...
I am by no means a mechanic... it was easy straight forward work. The most time consuming things of the job are jacking up the rig, and scraping/cleaning all the old material off.
If you can run a ratchet, a razor blade and a can of brake cleaner you have the skills to do the job.
You'll want to run the engine when complete, and change the oil and filter.

The over heating sounds normal, and, I would bet a new fan clutch would make a difference.

Cheap Cherokee rotors are known to warp, buy quality rotors, metalic pads, and flush/bleed the old brake fluid out and I would think the brake performance would be back to normal.

At 157k it's getting near time for a radiator, water pump... again, simple straight forward jobs easlily handled at home.
Personally, I would not be concerned about the mileage.

My .02
Old 06-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I agree with all the above, and am just going to add my experience FWIW...

I replaced the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, installed new oil pump, oil filter bracket seal, and front and rear differential gaskets/RTV in a day. I took my time, played with the dogs, stopped for an enjoyable lunch ete etc...
I am by no means a mechanic... it was easy straight forward work. The most time consuming things of the job are jacking up the rig, and scraping/cleaning all the old material off.
If you can run a ratchet, a razor blade and a can of brake cleaner you have the skills to do the job.
You'll want to run the engine when complete, and change the oil and filter.

The over heating sounds normal, and, I would bet a new fan clutch would make a difference.

Cheap Cherokee rotors are known to warp, buy quality rotors, metalic pads, and flush/bleed the old brake fluid out and I would think the brake performance would be back to normal.

At 157k it's getting near time for a radiator, water pump... again, simple straight forward jobs easlily handled at home.
Personally, I would not be concerned about the mileage.

My .02
Thanks for your input, about how much did it cost for the parts to replace the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, oil pump, oil filter bracket seal, and front and rear differential gaskets/RTV? Im sure I could do it, and my dad is really good with cars as well.

Also, what does a fan clutch do? My friend was thinking the overheating could be caused from a bad thermostat? They also said the water pump was replaced about a year and a half ago.

Thank you
Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

you could do all that for under $200 probably the fan clutch is what makes your mechanical fan run at a certain temp it will kick in
Old 06-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Oh yeah the brakes have a weird vibrating feel in them, and even if its just idling and you press on the brakes they feel weird and have the same vibrating sensation. almost when the abs kicks in. could this be more serious than just doing a normal brake job?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Registered Users

Year: 89

Please dont take this the wrong way..

but..

if you can maintain a Neon... you can build a Cherokee.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by nw-xj-scott
Please dont take this the wrong way..

but..

if you can maintain a Neon... you can build a Cherokee.
hahah I know I really disliked my neon, it runs good but is ugly and I never look forward to driving it. Im pretty sure I would enjoy driving a Jeep.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Also, does anybody have any suggestions of other things to check out on the jeep before I get it?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Registered Users

Year: 89

Originally Posted by jordanbb
Also, does anybody have any suggestions of other things to check out on the jeep before I get it?
YES

If it is 4wd. check to see if the Transfercase works right.
On that note, what Transfercase does it have? Is it a np242 or np231.. both are great. the 242 gives you a selection for Full-time 4wd.. (like awd)
the 231 has better aftermarket support..

what axle is in the rear? it could be a Dana 35(most likely) or a Chrysler 8.25

Does it have any goodies? Gas tank/Transfercase/Engine skid plates?
Any power options? Is it a sport? limited? leredo?

Knock on the Gas tank.. is it plastic or or steel. that will tell you if it has a skid plate.

i cant think of any others at the moment

Take pictures of the following:
Rear axle Diff cover
Transfercase Plate (we can tell you what TC you have from that)
Old 06-28-2009, 03:08 PM

just check normal things oil make sure the cap doesnt have white goey stuff on it indicates a blown head gasket probably make sure the tranny fluid isnt burnt and dark brown check for leaks and whatnot and also check the floors for rust you can use all these things to your advantage when trying to talk down the seller
Old 06-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by nw-xj-scott
YES

If it is 4wd. check to see if the Transfercase works right.
On that note, what Transfercase does it have? Is it a np242 or np231.. both are great. the 242 gives you a selection for Full-time 4wd.. (like awd)
the 231 has better aftermarket support..

what axle is in the rear? it could be a Dana 35(most likely) or a Chrysler 8.25

Does it have any goodies? Gas tank/Transfercase/Engine skid plates?
Any power options? Is it a sport? limited? leredo?

Knock on the Gas tank.. is it plastic or or steel. that will tell you if it has a skid plate.

i cant think of any others at the moment

Take pictures of the following:
Rear axle Diff cover
Transfercase Plate (we can tell you what TC you have from that)
Its a 1991 Cherokee Laredo, Im pretty sure it has the full time 4WD option. Not sure about the rear axle. And it is bone stuck, no goodies.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM

This is what it looks like, I dont think its too bad.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

I wouldnt worry about the mileage. I have 236k miles on mine, and dosnt burn any oil, has all the power I need, and runs smooth. Of course alot of this is dependant on how well it was maintained. I would say if it was maintained halfway decent, you should have alot of life left in it.

Quick Reply: Is this jeep worth buying?