Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Wagoneer Limited Key Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Wagoneer Limited Key Stuck

Hi everyone as you know I recently purchased a 1990 Jeep Wagoneer Limited. Unfortunately I need to replace the ignition switch as my jeep would not let me turn it off today! I had to go to the shop and get them to fix it but the key won't come out so I guess I have to replace the tumbler! As if that wasn't enough I saw a pile of rust under my jeep turns out my drivers floor pan is rotted in a place about the length of two evelopes of course that got me panicing but the guy at the job I go to said it wasn't a big deal and its easy to weld in a new piece of steel is this true. I love my jeep but the floor rot concerns me. I still can't believe the tumbler broke
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

Fixing the rust holes is easy, I just cut the rust out, then rust reformer paint, then cut the right size steel and used seam sealer and self-tapping screws. Put Herc over it and you cant tell very much. But for the key, I don't know if you already know, but there is a "lever" on the steering column (on my 1990 xj atleast). You have to push it down to "unlock" the key. Took me a while to get used to.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Ritter4.0
Fixing the rust holes is easy, I just cut the rust out, then rust reformer paint, then cut the right size steel and used seam sealer and self-tapping screws. Put Herc over it and you cant tell very much. But for the key, I don't know if you already know, but there is a "lever" on the steering column (on my 1990 xj atleast). You have to push it down to "unlock" the key. Took me a while to get used to.
the level is for 5 speeds
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM

The only thing I see on my steering colum is the blinker stalk the hazards switch and the tilt steering thing. I guess the floors boards shouldn't be too bad guess I'll like the jeep tommorow because we are getting a snow storm aha lol
Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Engine: Renix 4.0L

Thanks finney, never knew that, cause I had never seen this on any other vehicle, but this being my first vehicle, I think it is normal.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Well thats good do they sell after market ignitions for Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneers at places like NAPA or Car Quest or Canadian Tire I really don't want to buy one from the dealer. The jeep already uses a diferent key for the locks so its not a big deal. I am less scared of my floor issues now. I peeled off from underneath the jeep the most stupid fix I ever saw someone glued or welded a piece of body steel to the rusted floor now even I know thats not going to last! The shop told me that its not going to be expensive to fix. I am having a love hate moment with the jeep. The repairs are gonna be annoying but I imagine in the snow storm were having tommorow I'll fall back in love when I stick it in Full Time again. I loved my Jeep in the snow the day I got it and Its going to be my project vehicle but I don't know that much about cars. I did manage to remove my old cassete deck today that was pretty easy!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

i think all manuals have a button/lever you have to push to get the key out, right?

PM me if you need anyhelp or have any questions about the new lock cylinder i have a 90 and i replaced mine like 2 months ago.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

i ordered my ignition lock cylinder off JC whitney for like 26 bucks shipped
Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 PM

This is fixed I got an ignition tumbler for a Cherokee from Canadian tire for 15 dollars! plus 50 for installation and all is well