Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep suddenly dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep suddenly dies

Hey guys, having some issues here. I have a 2000 xj, and I just replaced the motor mounts with Brown Dogs and I also replaced the transmission mount , and did an oil change using 10w30 royal purple and a wicks filter. While driving home, my during idle my jeep looses power, and the oil pressure drops down to 30 (usually runs at 50) but then it jumps back up. When I go off idle, sometimes it seems to hang up and not want to accelerate at all, and it completely lost power and wouldn't move once. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit in January, and I ran the codes and got o2 sensor codes so I doubt that's the issue? Any ideas? It seems to do this sporadically on the drive home..
Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Why would you doubt that the o2 sensor codes are the problem? Did you have the battery disconnected for a while while doing the work on the vehicle? Could be that the fuel trims were compensating to the maximum for a bad o2 sensor, if that compensation setting was lost (its held in the computer between restarts), the computer might be having a difficult time managing the air/fuel ratio now, which would cause symptoms like you are seeing. Especially after the vehicle is warmed up.

(the oil pressure change could simply be because the rpms dipped way down when it was loosing power, so you probably want to solve the running problem first).

What exact o2 sensor codes are you getting?
Old 03-12-2017, 01:02 PM

This is the codes I got. I had my mechanic re wire the o2 sensor, and replace the faulty o2 sensor and the check engine light came back on almost immediately. It still runs like crap, wants to die at idle, but drives great when actually driving. I ran 1/3rd of a can of Seafoam through throttle body yesterday, but hasn't quite help yet. My next idea is to clean the IAC, and if that doesn't help move onto spark plugs and wires. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2017, 04:03 PM

Just had the code ran again after replacing the sensor. In the description is says high voltage for a predetermined amount of time, any ideas where to go with this?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler
Just had the code ran again after replacing the sensor. In the description is says high voltage for a predetermined amount of time, any ideas where to go with this?
sensor good but wires shorted to 5 v giving high reading. mechanic should have checked b4 putting new one in.??
Old 03-13-2017, 07:45 AM

The mechanic said he found a place where the wire had rubbed and he fixed that, and when I asked him to replace the o2 sensor, he didn't seem too thrilled and said it was Friday and a hour before they close, and quoted me at 180 plus tax for the one o2 sensor. I'm going to run it through a different shop this weekend hopefully, as it was my only car but I am picking up a new one today!