Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep runs hot, and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L inline 6
Default Jeep runs hot, and other questions

First post here, woooooo.

I'm a toyota guy, I married into a jeep and it's been a decent runner for the last five years. It's a 1996 jeep cherokee sport, it's got the inline 6 engine. I've got no real gripes about it minus the fact they love to rust.

Recently the plastic heater mixer went (140k miles) and after ripping apart my local pep boys, I found another. No offense to anyone but the sheer volume of plastic on the engine makes me wonder what drugs the engineers were on. If anyone has a source for all metal parts, I'd be willing to spring the cash to build it once and not worry about it.

I lurked on the forums and I identified the prestone T on this jeep. Knocking on wood, it wasn't a problem. When I filled it I filled it with the radiator cap off and very slowly topped it up. I also topped up the reservior and saw it used another few inches of coolant after running it around. Before the jeep would run cooler (just under halfway), but it would consume coolant. I got used to feeding it ever other month or so. Now that the plastic fantastic is fixed, the jeep is running slightly above halfway on the temp. Is this normal?

I wish I had posted this before - what's anyone doing about rust? When I had a chance to rip the car apart, I spraypainted over anything that looked like it was spotting. I ground off surface rust and spraypainted that. It halted the body cancer but bolts and such just seem to LOVE to rust on these things.

Finally my wife desperately wants power windows and doors. If I go to the junkyard and pick them off another cherokee, do I need to grab a complete wiring harness with it too? Anyone do the conversion?