Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

Jeep Newbie - Big Snow, how do I use my 4wd best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 V6
Default Jeep Newbie - Big Snow, how do I use my 4wd best?

I've got a 98 Cherokee Limited XJ.

Gettin some good snow here in Columbus and went out tonight to do some shopping and stuff and thew it in 4high a few times.

Anyway, I have 3 options.
4 part time
4 high
4 low

So basically side streets and surface roads are not plowed, so I need 4 wheel drive, but the highways and main roads are plowed. What option should I use? I know using 4high on dry pavement is not a good idea so it makes me nervous. Also my mechanic told me not to shift on the fly, so I should stop, put it neutral, shift to the 4 wheel drive.

What times should I use part-time? 4 high?

I know 4 low is very low speeds, low torque, etc..

Can I shift on the fly?

I really don't wanna F up my transfer case, but gotta say, am loving the 4 wheel drive (it's my first one)

Ok, need some help, please let me know.... thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i havent used 4x4 ever in both my cherokees lol i never have a prob in snow but ud have to say 2wd on high way and just pick witch dose best i realy not sure
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

4hi is best bet, ONLY on actual snow, if not 2wd is fine for 90% of the time.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l i6

its ok to shift on the fly just make sure your going under 40 mph and let off the gas when you do it. you shouldnt have to use 4L in snow unless your going up a hill or something similar. just dont use the 4wd until you see cars sliding or a patch of ice on the road. i drive in 4wd high on dry pavement when it snows but i have to only worry about it for like 3 days out of the year in georgia so its less wear and tearfor me.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Engine: 4.0ho

i dont have the transfer case you have but what i have read is that you can run the 4wd part time 100% of the time its pretty much like awd it only kicks in when it notices tire spin. im not sure about switching it on the fly i know on the np231 that i have and most xjs have besides the higher end models you can shift into 4 high on the fly under 45mph but i would check out your owners manual and see what it says
Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by xr650jkallen
i dont have the transfer case you have but what i have read is that you can run the 4wd part time 100% of the time its pretty much like awd it only kicks in when it notices tire spin. im not sure about switching it on the fly i know on the np231 that i have and most xjs have besides the higher end models you can shift into 4 high on the fly under 45mph but i would check out your owners manual and see what it says
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! from what it sounds like, he has the 242 which should say on the shifter 2hi, 4 part time, neutral, 4 Full time, and 4 Low. 4 part time is like 4 hi on a 231, its only supposed to be used on loose surfaces like dirt roads and stuff. the 4 full time is like a 249 T-Case. in that position it IS MEANT for Dry pavement and everything else.

so if i wer u just throw it in 4 Full Time and you'll b fine
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 PM

ohhhh my bad lol i havent ever messed with these transfer cases thanks for the correction jeepjunkie
Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

ohhhh my bad lol i havent ever messed with these transfer cases thanks for the correction jeepjunkie
Its fine lol. i found out all of this earlier this summer cuz i did a complete power train swap from a 93 xj to a 93 zj. now i just got to put the motor back in it lol
Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

JeepJunky is right: if you have a 4 full time option on your jeep, you have the 242 transfer case and you can use that all the time, even on dry pavement. If you're like me, my jeep just has these options: 2 high, 4 high, neutral, and 4 low. Mine is the 231 transfer case, and all 4wd options are part time and lock the wheels together, and show "part time" on the dash light. With either t-case if you use part time 4wd on dry pavement you can damage your t-case. It's always for surfaces with limited traction. I use part time 4wd on trails and when there is lots of snow on the road, and always under 40 mph. I can go from 2 high to 4 high at low speeds without stopping. 4 low requires a stop and putting the jeep in neutral. If you have full time 4wd, it can be used continuously, even on patches of dry pavement-- that's what it was designed for. Don't know the recommended maximum speed for that, though (common sense should dictate that in a snowstorm!). This is my first 4wd vehicle too and it's a lot of fun in the snow!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 PM

that full time transfer case seems like it would be a nice junkyard swap is it any stronger but i bet the mpg lose of running it in full time would SUCK
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

that full time transfer case seems like it would be a nice junkyard swap is it any stronger but i bet the mpg lose of running it in full time would SUCK
I read on some other threads that it's somewhat weaker than the 231 for wheeling. It would be nice to have in the winter, though! I wouldn't run it except in bad storms because of the mpg loss. Anybody have any idea what the mpg is while using full time 4wd?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

welcome to the forum,but ill let the northerners tell u how to drive through snow,i never have since im in the south
Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lfhoward
I read on some other threads that it's somewhat weaker than the 231 for wheeling. It would be nice to have in the winter, though! I wouldn't run it except in bad storms because of the mpg loss. Anybody have any idea what the mpg is while using full time 4wd?
You'll get the same mileage as running it in part-time. If you don't need 4wd you can simply run it in 2wd.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
You'll get the same mileage as running it in part-time. If you don't need 4wd you can simply run it in 2wd.
you would get the same mileage but you would burn through t-cases a lot faster
Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H/O

you have the np242...like me. it has the options from top to bottom of 2wd 4x4 part time, 4x4 full time, nuetural, and 4 low

use full time in the snow...you can also use part time on dry ground. the 242 trans case has a center diff you can basically lock up to become like the 231...so full time is like driving a all wheel drive car / suv around. all wheels can spin seperatly. part time locks front and back axles together so if you turn on a hard surface, you will most likley slip the transfer case chain

Quick Reply: Jeep Newbie - Big Snow, how do I use my 4wd best?