Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Headlights abd Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Headlights abd Dash Lights

So I have a 98 XJ that has Led flood lights on the front along with stock headlights. Recently as I have been pulling the light **** out to turn on my headlights, the led lights and instruments cluster lights flash on for a nanosecond and then turn off once my headlights are on. I can also move my **** forward and like keep it where the leds and the instrument cluster lights stay on but my headlights aren't on. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what is going on?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Are you running a relay or anything for the LED lights or are they wired directly in to the headlamp wiring?

Check the wiring to your headlight switch, specifically the ground. Could be a loose connection or a bad switch. Its a somewhat common occurrence for the wiring to melt on these headlight switches as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by LACK
Are you running a relay or anything for the LED lights or are they wired directly in to the headlamp wiring?

Check the wiring to your headlight switch, specifically the ground. Could be a loose connection or a bad switch. Its a somewhat common occurrence for the wiring to melt on these headlight switches as well.
They are on a relay but would that also cause my instrument cluster lights to be turning off with the LED lights

Last edited by WinnytheXJ; 10-19-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by WinnytheXJ
They are on a relay but would that also cause my instrument cluster lights to be turning off with the LED lights
Headlamps, dome lights, dash lights, running lights all run through the Headlamp switch on your dash. Pretty common for them to go out. Check all the connections/wiring condition first as well as your fuses. If neither of those are the culprit then it may be time to replace the switch.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...orking-179330/
Old 10-19-2016, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by LACK
Headlamps, dome lights, dash lights, running lights all run through the Headlamp switch on your dash. Pretty common for them to go out. Check all the connections/wiring condition first as well as your fuses. If neither of those are the culprit then it may be time to replace the switch.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...orking-179330/
Thanks you. I'll check the switch