Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep had a rough day on the trail... I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992, 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default Jeep had a rough day on the trail... I need help

So to start things off me and my friend decided to wheel, since I completed most of the work on the Jeep. We turn off the highway and theres a big puddle in middle of road and haven't gone wheeling all summer I decided to floor it though. My engine didn't even get wet, but then my check engine light flashes on a off and when it comes on Jeep dies. After a few times it seems ok, and we continue to go but start on a trail that we could easily get a trailer up if needed. Light stays off whole time figure everything is fine. Oil pressure guage stays on 80 but checked oil and seemed fine figured I knocked something off. Go on harder trail and things got interesting. Its a pass but closed at the top, and we made it there no sweat. Theres 3 or 4 water crossings up to the sliders along the way, and the mountain runoff made it like were climbing a creek. On way down near the top is the biggest crossing, and I go through fine, but the light comes on, and Jeep keeps dieing. Its downhill so I coasted all the way down, only stopping at other crossings since I could keep it alive for about 10sec. At bottom its running fine, engine light is off but gauge light is on and oil pressure is at 0. I keep hearing a clunk but decide to get it to cell service before stopping. Tierod end looks bad so I figure thats problem, but I open the hood and hear a hissing down. Radiator hose is leaking and another behind battery looks damaged, so I call AAA. Then I finnally found bad sensor, its right above the oil filter. AAA get there and loads Jeep on and thats when we notice the crossmember only has 1 bolt. Its hanging 6in down ands about to fall. Luckily he had a floor jack and we put that underneath on the ride home. I had 1 bolt and 1 stud on each side, like stock but had a tcase drop. Tcase drop is also god knows where. So to some it up what should I check out, what sensor is it, and How can I get the studs out so I can put 4 bolts in. Ill get pics of everything tomorow. Sorry for rant
Old 06-17-2010, 02:13 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

The sensor directly over the oil filter is the oil pressure sensor. I broke mine at the end of my last oil change
Good thing that it held together till the bottom hahahaha. Things could have gotten more interesting then you might have liked
Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 PM

So once I replace that it should run fine? Is it a straight forward unplug old and plug in new? Also will this tcase drop work its on clist for 10 bucks and I need a new one, unless it will drive ok without.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 AM

It just unscrews. You dont need to worry about your oil flowing out of it.
As for the T-case drop, I have no clue. You had one in before so it probably wouldn't hurt to put one back in.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 AM

well once you install it and your new rad hose take it for a quick test drive. If its still acting funny just post or pm and ill try to give some more input. I just had probblems with my Xj dieing out every time i came to a stop but fixed it. First it was my PCV valve on the rear of my valve cover then the next week my jeep started to the same thing once it reached normal operating temp but it was now running rich so i needed a new upstream o2 sensor.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

IMHO it sounds like a thorough look over is in order. Get yourself a hardware kit. Replacing bolts, nuts and washers on the fly is difficult unless you have a collection on hand.

The oil pressure sensor isn't really going to affect how it runs. You may have gotten some water in the motor's intake. I believe somewhere I read the check engine light flashing is an indication of miss fires. Maybe check the condition of your air filter.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Flooring it through an unknown puddle never is a great idea.

How do you figure your engine didn't get wet during that?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 PM

Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Originally Posted by goalieman24
Flooring it through an unknown puddle never is a great idea.

How do you figure your engine didn't get wet during that?

Ok captain kill joy............
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM

After it died the first time I stopped and looked under the hood and at the filter. Engine was still dirty from before and filter was clean and dry. Didn't look after that but after I went through the deepest water on the way down thats when it wouldn't stay on for more than 10sec. What else should I be checking?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

how about everything on the jeep... especially if you lost bolts and a t-case drop. remember loctight is your friend. Also every lift kit or accesory says to check bolts for tightness periodicly.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 AM

crossmember was off 2 months ago and put back on with airtools so I figured it was tight. What should I check for in the engine to see if any water got in. Im new at this
Old 06-19-2010, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

bottom of the air box. water will usually sit there if any got in.

also, do an oil change, pull the plugs and turn it over to push any water out if any got in there. then replace plugs with new ones (i would anyways, since they're out).
pull your distributor and see if any water got in there. dry inside the cap with a hair dryer.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

to remove the stud you just need a set of visegrips with the allen wrench hole at the end of the tightener. Just hand tighten and then allen wrench tighten.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 AM

No water in air box. its alittle dusty but dry. Im gonna pull the plugs and cap tomorrow and check. For now Im gonna leave the tcase drop off see how it drives and if its bad ill order a new one. How much difference will it make at 4-4.5inches of lift?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Wll tryed to fix crossmember today and things went bad. I didn't have any vice grips that could get a good grip on it so I tryed putting on 2 nuts and then loosening the top one to pull it out. Not enough room with unibody stiffeners to do it. Decided to at least put crossmember on without the drop and got the drivers side easy. Passenger side I think I might have overtightened it but there was still a gap and it just spun then spun out. Then I got it back and tightened as far as a could and moved the jack alittle and the bolt shot out. I think it stripped cause now I can just stick the bolt all the way in byhand and it falls out. Can I tap this hole? Ive never done a drill tap before but my friend said I can borrow his. Got the new relay gonna put it in tomorow

Quick Reply: Jeep had a rough day on the trail... I need help