Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee in the UK(rebadged XJ btw

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee in the UK(rebadged XJ btw

Hi guys

I live in scotland, and own a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0....for us over here this is a HUGE engine....but I absolutely love my Jeep. I was going to start putting up some pictures to let you guys have a look.. I have done bits and bobs over the last year to restore/clean her up. I mainly use the Jeep for the winter, and mostly on road unfortunately...although I do try to veer into the dirt once in a while! The stuff Ive done is pretty simple, and Ive been considering doing more important/demaninding stuff on the Jeep..

Ive found and done tons of stuff found on here..also a few of my own. The Jeep came with an imobilizer, the socket was gone and the wire hanging out. I was quoted #300 for remvoing it!!! So I wired the chip behind the dash in a little KinderEgg, and fixed 2 non-latching switches to cables attached to each of the 3 connections...Works like a dream for over a year now! so happy ...

Anyway, I put my Jeep in for its MOT (our road safety inspection) and it failed on a a few things....

1)Shafts and or UJoints
2)exhaust leak
3)Leaking back brake...other not working
4)Handbrake
5)Hole in floor (2cms) maybe rust extends worse?

I have the Shafts and Ujoints from a very good condition 1997 or possible 1996 Desiel version of the cherokee... I was wondering if its the same one for these models?

Any other advice you guys have would be great, but mostly just saying hi.. I really need to get some ideas from you guys bout Jeep Repairs... this garage over here were going to take me to town, I should really be prepared

Jamie
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 AM

Il pop up some pics I have just now, but It`s actually in garage just now.. I can pick it up today, or let them do the work. The reason I ask you guys is, it seems over here, as soon as something starts to cost money to fix... change it...although trying to explain to someone who has never had a Jeep, and in my mined esp a XJ 4...that its more than a car, and that I couldnt scrap it... Its a good slid motor anyway, bt because of its value/age.. people over here just think to dispose!! Not me however lol! I am recycling!! Ohh I bet my carbon footprint is better than these guys with their new efficient cars anyway...based on the math anyway, to make a new car!! haha
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 AM
CF Veteran

You will have to find where the exhaust is leaking, hopefully its not in the front half.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

welcome to the site... Would love to see some pics.. I am not sure on the axles and u joints.... the whole in the floor is a pretty easy fix just need to cover it up with a piece of metal and... metal bond... or if you can weld it and rust proof the rest of the floor to stop it from getting worse... the exhaust is pretty straight foward find the leak patch it or replace that section... From what i hear you guys have a ton of breakers... try looking for them for parts i hear they are helpful
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 AM
CF Veteran

the leak on the rear brakes are either a rear brake line or the rear wheel cyclinders... just replace the rear wheel cyclinders and shoes the hand brake is in there as well... or the hand brake could be the cable is out of adjustment... hope i helped
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks guys... And rooster yeah that right...they said theyl change the shoes and cylndrs. Theyve quoted me 400pounds..which is around $800 which will ger it through its MOT test
. Just a quick BUMP here... Does anyone know if the
1996 xj 4.0 frnt drives shafts are in anyway generic to both desiels and petrols.. The desiel was a 2.5??
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: L6 242cid FI I-6

Originally Posted by JamiesJeep
Thanks guys... And rooster yeah that right...they said theyl change the shoes and cylndrs. Theyve quoted me 400pounds..which is around $800 which will ger it through its MOT test
1996 xj 4.0 frnt drives shafts are in anyway generic to both desiels and petrols.. The desiel was a 2.5??
What model transmission/transfer case/axles does it have? If your XJ and the donor XJ have the same model, everything should bolt right in.

BTW welcome to the site from Texas!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

I was unaware of a diesal modle. But I'm 90% sure its the same as long as everything else is the same minus the engine
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by JamiesJeep
Over here you could replace your shoes/hardware/cylinders/drums for probably $125. Jamie, you could by a FSM and one hell of a lot of hand tools for 400 pounds...time to get dirty.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

The u joints are pretty easy if you've got a bench vise and some sockets. Pop the c clips out and get to pressing! And where abouts in Scotland? I believe I have family in/around Aberdeen.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 PM

Cool

Hey dudes...thanks for reply... I stay just outside of edinburgh bro Scotland aint so big what their names an il shout haha..... I really shoud av done it myself...its not that im.not confident..just a stitched myself up this time...we have so many niggly laws..no mot essentially means you cant get anything... 99.9percenr of peiple hwre would have acrapped the jeep based on cost/value...not me though!!! It should be ready today...and from now on I will speak to people on here and do stuff myself if possible.... I bet theres no one in our garages who know even half as much as u guys do about XJz
thanks dudes an dudessess
Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

ok cool..... post pictures when you get it back let see what it looks like
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Hey guys..hope everyone had a good christmas? I got my Jeep back on christmas eve...just in the knick of of time too! They did the worl mentioned above I can also confirm the front shafts and u joints salvaged from a 2.5l diesel fitted my 4.o... I was pretty glad about that..the salvaged vehicle was a year older. at the time i just made sure it was a jeep lol..pretty lucky really. Anyway..pretty happy he's back il get some pics up now..i do have some from last year up already... Bt have redone interior since then and got chrome...i also had a little altercation with a tree..so theres a big dent...lucky it was the jeep and not the car as it would have totalled it!! No lie! Although the chances of getting a car to whre the event took place wld be very slim
Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Congrats on getting it back... What hrome did you add.. looking foward to the pics