Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee AW-4 CEL p740

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee AW-4 CEL p740

Hello, I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee SE 4.0L with AW-4 trans. About a month after I bought the jeep (which was at the beginning of the year) I got a CEL code after hitting a pothole. I went to my mechanic and they cleared it for me. Fast forward a week hit another pothole and it came back on. If I parked on an incline or decline the CEL would turn itself off. However for the past few months the CEL has stayed on. My torque converter locks up just fine. I drive this thing on the highway almost everyday. It is stock height with 3.55 gears and stays at about 2200 RPMs at 70mph. My question is has anyone else had this issue and what might be causing it? I just flushed the tranny fluid and the old fluid looked fine just dirty because it was due for a fluid change. Only thing that has happened is 2 times before changing tranny fluid it wouldn't shift out of first unless I let off the gas for a second but that was just after starting the jeep and pulling out onto the road in front of my house. Since doing the fluid change it has been fine and hasn't happened again. T also never happened before those 2 times.