Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep cherokee Air Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl
Default Jeep cherokee Air Shock question

IV got a 90 xj that I am wanting to put on airshocks for the rear. I don't do any crazy off roading or flexing. I do carry around 200+ lb of parts and tools.

So my question is, I see the Monroe Max air shocks. Everywhere I find them they say 92+.

Would these shocks work on my 1990? I though all Cherokees have the same rear mount am I wrong?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm pretty sure, (but not positive) you are correct, they are the same. I don't remember the brand I bought at Napa, I put the filler here on my 90. (See photo). It's a little short, not all fillers fit on it.

Of course you could go to rockauto or somewhere and see if there is a part change there....The first time I aired them up I was pretty jazzed!
Attached Thumbnails Jeep cherokee Air Shock question-101_0253.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 08-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Did your xj have sag at the time? The previous owner of mine did spacers in the front and nothing for lift in the rear and with the sag and all my tools it looks like a wanna be pre runner. I'd like to see if the air shocks help lift the *** a little bit. I found them online at amazon for $54 plus tax for a pair with all the lines and fittings.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Yea, thrashed. When I posted a pic of my springs about 5 chimed in, "wow dude!". They were old and sagging when I winched a few large logs on a trailer not knowing I had no stops. I gotta mention, new springs are not that spendy, and a better answer, but yea, the $70 air shocks I put in are handling it. Pretty neat to put the air to it and see it level out. If my shock mount"s" are ready to give out from the extra load, I'm unaware of it...havent looked! I forget 5, 7 years? Only problem waz when I touched an air line with a soldering iron working on trailer wiring. Took a sec to figure out why the loud hiss, then the Jeep coming down toward me....
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah I eventually will do a full leaf pack and spring lift, I'm just trying to get it running reliably. Its got some issue that need addressing before I dumb a bunch of money in it.

As for the shocks I'd just like it a little higher more level than it is now, what psi do you run yours at? These shocks are 20psi minimum 150psi Max.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by DESERTXJ206
Yeah I eventually will do a full leaf pack and spring lift, I'm just trying to get it running reliably. Its got some issue that need addressing before I dumb a bunch of money in it.

As for the shocks I'd just like it a little higher more level than it is now, what psi do you run yours at? These shocks are 20psi minimum 150psi Max.
I put in a set of the Monroe Max Air shocks to raise the 1" droop in the rear of my '97 and for my camper towing. I recently developed a squeak/moan in the rear and it turned out to be one of the shocks. O'Reilly's replaced both under warranty...save your receipts.

Running mine @40psi keeps the Jeep level and the ride is OK. I crank it up to ~80psi when towing. So far I see no evidence of either lower shock mounts bending/cracking. It's a whole lot easier than changing leaf springs in the Rust Belt. But be prepared for one or more of the upper mounting bolts breaking.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by weebur

I put in a set of the Monroe Max Air shocks to raise the 1" droop in the rear of my '97 and for my camper towing. I recently developed a squeak/moan in the rear and it turned out to be one of the shocks. O'Reilly's replaced both under warranty...save your receipts.

Running mine @40psi keeps the Jeep level and the ride is OK. I crank it up to ~80psi when towing. So far I see no evidence of either lower shock mounts bending/cracking. It's a whole lot easier than changing leaf springs in the Rust Belt. But be prepared for one or more of the upper mounting bolts breaking.
My Jeeps been pretty good to me during part replacement so I happy it doesn't break any bolts. Its rust free Arizona Jeep so I'm hoping that helps.

As for changing the leafs, yeah I tried that process and as soon as I realized a 6 foot breaker bar wouldn't even budge the lower shackle bolt through the spring I gave up on that for the time being.

Do you remember what you payed through orielys? I found them for $54 online but I'm not sure how a warranty swap would work for that if needed.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Mine that are roughly the same diameter as normal shocks, I run above 30 and below 80 Lbs. I guess there are larger diameter out there that take less pressure, and presumably are "softer". (the pressure may rise more slowly hitting a bump due to a higher volume if air, is my thinking).

When I factor in shipping, waiting, and the fact that when I buy local, my money stays here for me and my friends, ...online just doesn't always look so good. For me anyway.

Did you check your Napa?, or Car Quest....
Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah I just called orielly and they said they want $74.99. I may just pay that instead of the shipping time and the fact that I'm not sure how warranties work through the internet.

When you air it up to use your camper, with that weight on the shocks is it a real rough ride?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L Stock Straight 6

Just realized i have air shocks on mine threw some air in them and it leveled her out, still got plans of swapping out to new hd leafs