Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I've got 99 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle
Question I've got 99 problems...

...and my hatch accounts for at least 2 of em.

My rear wiper switch does nothing. saw that the fuse was missing for it. replaced the fuse, rear defroster light comes on. Now i know why the fuse was out. Removed fuse again as something is shorting out there. Now, I've just discovered that when i cut on the rear defroster, the wiper comes on (?). I'm left to assume that there is a short off the fuse block, probably to the rear defroster, but i have no power on any pins at the rear wiper switch, even with the fuse in. Any ideas? I'm willing to replace the interior harness eventually if i need to, but i need to get it working in the meantime, as it's raining 3-4 days out of the week here, and I'd like to NOT incinerate my vehicle.

Thanks in advance!
Tom
Old 06-18-2014, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like a short circuit in the liftgate. There have been many accounts of the wires that pass through the two boots between the body and the liftgate chafing and shorting together.

See if you can pry the boots down enough to see if there's wire problem. If you can't see any, you may have to remove the trim panel off the liftgate and take a good look at the hinge area wiring.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle

as good a place as any to go from here, thanks for the heads up. I will post results when I get it back from the stealership, where they are currently doing the recall work on the fuel pump and abs module.