Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Intermittent Starting Problems

I have an '89 fuel injected Cherokee with 4.0/automatic which has never given me any trouble in the couple years I've owned it... until now! When I start her up, I'm in the habit of turning the ignition on and listening for the fuel pump to pressurize then shut off before starting. The motor turns over 8-10 times but she always fires up.

A couple weeks ago I noticed the fuel pump didn't shut off after a few seconds and I tried to fire her up anyhow. She wouldn't start and I smelled raw gas- as though she was flooded.

I now have this problem intermittently, sometimes the fuel pump pressurizes and shuts down then she fires right up and other times the fuel pump keeps running and she won't start. It doesn't seem to matter whether she's cold or warmed up it happens very intermittently. So far I've been able to wait from 15 minutes to an hour or so and she'll eventually start up.

The Cherokee isn't my only mode of transportation and I don't drive her anywhere I'm not prepared to be stuck for a couple hours in case she won't start but I need her to be dependable this winter.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance-
Jeff