Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intake smells strong of gas and is slightly wet inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000.5
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Intake smells strong of gas and is slightly wet inside.

I know fuel goes in there but listen.
I was cleaning my IAC yesterday, and saw my intake was slightly wet inside as well as dirty. I fid it weird that the intake would be wet in this manner.

Also what injectors do I need for a 2000 4.0. I have yet to get a straight answer. I heard that the dodge stratus 1998 injectors will work but I do not know the engine or numbers to look for. please help.

the iac was not to bad, but had lots of crap falling out of the hole.

Last edited by tylerspyler; 09-02-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

The intake on a port fuel injected vehicle is supposed to be "dry" - fuel doesn't enter until the ends of the runners, near the head.

A fuel smell there isn't a big problem - unless it's strong (which means you probably have an injector not sealing.)

Fuel backflow through the intake may be caused by reversion - which shouldn't be happening through the intake. If it is, that could be a leaking intake valve. Have you lost power recently?

It would help to know more, but I need to chew on which questions to ask. But, I'd start with a compression test - just to make sure.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90
The intake on a port fuel injected vehicle is supposed to be "dry" - fuel doesn't enter until the ends of the runners, near the head.

A fuel smell there isn't a big problem - unless it's strong (which means you probably have an injector not sealing.)

Fuel backflow through the intake may be caused by reversion - which shouldn't be happening through the intake. If it is, that could be a leaking intake valve. Have you lost power recently?

It would help to know more, but I need to chew on which questions to ask. But, I'd start with a compression test - just to make sure.
I had thought of a bad injector. If i am losing power, it is so minor I do not notice it.
I do not have the oportunity to do a compresion test so that is out.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by tylerspyler
I had thought of a bad injector. If i am losing power, it is so minor I do not notice it.
could always check your fuel pressure for a bad injector
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Reversion would cause pops through the intake... and rough running. It is possible. Check the airbox where the breather comes in. There is a little cloth piece that catches the oil. If your ccv system is stopped up and that cloth is missing you could be sucking oil in due to the location of the breather in the airbox.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by tylerspyler
If you're not losing power significantly and you don't detect any sort of "miss" (like having a dead hole in the engine,) then a compression test won't tell you anything new. Start with the fuel injection setup, then. (Intake valve reversion will kill base pressure in the cylinder, which knocks down compression and combustion pressure - both of which lose power. If the valve stays far enough off of the seat or is cracked/warped badly enough, you lose compression entirely and get a "dead hole," a miss, and a hefty power drop.)

A dead hole is pretty obvious - a significant case of intake valve reversion is noticeable.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Slugger
could always check your fuel pressure for a bad injector
Originally Posted by Slick761
Reversion would cause pops through the intake... and rough running. It is possible. Check the airbox where the breather comes in. There is a little cloth piece that catches the oil. If your ccv system is stopped up and that cloth is missing you could be sucking oil in due to the location of the breather in the airbox.
You know, I did notice a bit of oil coming out from the rear tube that goes into the intake. Would that cause the dirtieness or, is that just from one to many 0-60 runs? The front one seems clear (I can blow into it) but I cannot know for sure.

If you're not losing power significantly and you don't detect any sort of "miss" (like having a dead hole in the engine,) then a compression test won't tell you anything new. Start with the fuel injection setup, then. (Intake valve reversion will kill base pressure in the cylinder, which knocks down compression and combustion pressure - both of which lose power. If the valve stays far enough off of the seat or is cracked/warped badly enough, you lose compression entirely and get a "dead hole," a miss, and a hefty power drop.)

A dead hole is pretty obvious - a significant case of intake valve reversion is noticeable.
Like I said it runs beautiful, just has a wet dirty intake. No power loss.