Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intake and exhaust valve stem seals?

Old 10-30-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Intake and exhaust valve stem seals?

Hello,
I'm in the process of 4.0 motor rebuild. I have the head taken apart and am looking to purchase few valve stem seals for the intake and the exhaust. My question is are they the same size for both intake valve and exhaust valve? It's a little tricky and I want to make sure I purchase the correct product. Is there any one that has been through this before that can help. 99 jeep Cherokee with 4.0 motor. Motor has 217k on it before teardown.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jlen28
Hello,
I'm in the process of 4.0 motor rebuild. I have the head taken apart and am looking to purchase few valve stem seals for the intake and the exhaust. My question is are they the same size for both intake valve and exhaust valve? It's a little tricky and I want to make sure I purchase the correct product. Is there any one that has been through this before that can help. 99 jeep Cherokee with 4.0 motor. Motor has 217k on it before teardown.
They are all the same. In Felpro brand it would be part #SS 72835. They just pull off and the new ones push on. It helps to oil them a bit before pushing them on. Just keep an eye on the little spring around the top that they don't come off when you push it on.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 AM

Ok thanks a bunch
Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Ok thanks a bunch
You are absolutely welcome, please drop in anytime and good luck with it, hope everything goes smooth for you.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:04 AM

The teardown was fun actually and with 217k on the motor everything looked fantastic other than the number 2 cylinder piston having some damage to it. The crankshaft looks great, camshaft looking good. I'm replacing crankshaft bearings, rod bearings, rear main seal, front seal, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, timing chain, head gasket as it was blown between 3 and 4 cylinder. So hoping it's like a new engine afterwards. Bought the jeep in the spring early summer and haven't had the chance to use it. So I'm hoping all goes back together nicely and runs for the winter.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

The teardown was fun actually and with 217k on the motor everything looked fantastic other than the number 2 cylinder piston having some damage to it. The crankshaft looks great, camshaft looking good. I'm replacing crankshaft bearings, rod bearings, rear main seal, front seal, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, timing chain, head gasket as it was blown between 3 and 4 cylinder. So hoping it's like a new engine afterwards. Bought the jeep in the spring early summer and haven't had the chance to use it. So I'm hoping all goes back together nicely and runs for the winter.
Main thing with this is taking your time and double checking everything as you put it back together. Please let us know how it sounds when you get it done!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Will.do, I will post a video of the 1st start up on here for ya. Btw that part number was dead on. I ordered a set for 19.00 bucks frpm the local national autp parts store in town. Thanks again
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Not sure if you ordered all the gaskets yet. Was going to say Fel-Pro sells a kit with the valve cover and head gasket and valve seals and a few other pieces. Forget exactly but that's the one I got.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:17 PM

I have purchased a felpro head gasket set from summit racing. I haven't gotten the chance to rip it open yet as I was collecting all the parts I needed and doing the teardown on the motor. I've been staying with all felpro brand as I've heard good stuff about them. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:37 AM

Year: 1990

It's usually cheapest to buy a 'head set', it's a kit that has all the gaskets & seals needed to do a head job. Intake, exhaust, valve stems, head gasket, etc. all in one kit.