Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Instrument Panel not working, PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Instrument Panel not working, please help

O.k., this is my first time I ever have posted on this site, or ever in my life. So if I have made an error by just making a new thread, then lecture me so I can learn, but I am in need of help. I currently own a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0l V6 2x4.

After a little mix up I had when I ignorantly flipped my electric cables on my battery (by putting negative to positive and vise versa), I blew out some fuses and busted my alternator. So I recently replaced my alternator, checked out a couple of fuses and swapped out my alternator fuse and one other, then I checked my interior fuses and replaced some, but all except for one and it may or may not be the fuse that helps the instrument cluster (I have no owners manual for it, there are no instructions on what fuse is what because there is nothing but an open fuse box under my steering wheel, and I can't really find a descent diagram online that will help me out). But every time we put a new fuse in, it just bursts and destroys the fuse upon impact.

To sum it up: Alternator replaced, battery as well, some fuses replaced, one fuse has an incredible short, all other electronics work fine (Head lights, rear lights, turn signals, radio, a/c, etc.) and dandy except for my instrument cluster doesn't work at all. I'll be looking for some short wires and such, but if anybody can help I'd really appreciate it..

Last edited by chuckfinley; 07-21-2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Corrections need to be made
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

The fuse panel is labeled with the amp rating and purpose of each slot, I believe.

The Haynes manuals also have a diagram.

In my Jeep, the taillights and instrument cluster lights are on the same circuit.

You might have melted some contact strips on the back side of the cluster.

An immediate blowing of a fuse usually indicates a direct short to ground.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM

Ok, we bought a Haynes Manual and it's descent, but some schematics are irrelevant to our problem. We took out the instrument cluster and took a look at some wires, they seem to be ok for the most part. Even looked on the back of the interior fuse box and found nothing so far.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the advice Firestorm...
Here's what we've done & found so far.... Interior fuse panel has no cover with diagram
We found that both the alternator 60A fuses under the hood were blown--replaced them.
We took the gauge cluster out and inspected, we found no obvious burns or corrosion on the copper tape or any burned or damaged wires anywhere.
We reinstalled the cluster after changing out any blown fuses, the illumination lights for the cluster are now working again, but the speedometer, fuel & battery gauges are still not...
We did notice the #17-7.5A was blown again. So we tried it with cluster both in and out of car, blows the fuse either way.... All other fuses remain intact.

(Just a recap- I had a cranial inversion and had battery cables on backwards, tried to start it made weird sound, realized what I had done and and removed them. (Approx 10mins total)
Hooked them up right and car started, lights dim all over, drove 15miles home, no light or function of gauge cluster. Replaced alternator, all lights bright & battery charges good, now no function of speedo & fuel gauge)
All other aspects of the cars electronics are working fine, the manual said that #17 fuse supplies other stuff like the chime, but nothing else is affected even with that fuse blown....
Totally stumped now....

Last edited by chuckfinley; 07-21-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Got my problem finally solved. Pulled a wire, replaced a fuse, and boom. Lights up.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

By the way - fixed or not - you might want to quickly do Cruiser's tip #18. Just did it today. Not 100% sure if it fixed my issue(s) yet, but it's a very easy extra ground strap you can throw on (that grounds the entire instrument cluster)

Just another inferior grounding spot they did on these jeeps.