Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Instrument Cluster emitting a buzzing noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Instrument Cluster emitting a buzzing noise at speed

Hi, I had 94 Cherokee Sport 2-door 4x4 with a 4.0L (Black Betty) for several years until the frame rotted beyond repair a few months ago. Well I got very lucky and just found a nearly identical 95 in white which my wife has aptly named Betty White, because she's awesome.

So I am getting used to the new Jeep which has about 20k more miles than my old one (236K) and as I'm finding defective parts I am swapping them over. One of the more annoying problems I've found is a buzzing electrical noise that seems to be coming from the inside the dash. It shows up when I accelerate and once I hit 65 I hear the noise continuously.

I have a hearing problem and it makes me a bit sensitive to certain sound, this one being just above what I can tolerate lol. The only idea I have to fix this is to swap the whole cluster out, but I would have to switch the odometer out to make sure the mileage would be acurate. (I've always been proud to drive high mileage cars) So I want to make sure of what it could be before I start tearing things apart. Any input would be appreciated