Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing RC 4.5" kit within the next few days... any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993 4Dr Country
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 190hp 4.0 242 H.O I6
Default Installing RC 4.5" kit within the next few days... any advice?

Hey guys I am installing my 4.5" add-a-leaf Rough Country kit tomorrow on my 1993 Cherokee Country with a buddy of mine and would really appreciate any tips, advice or words of wisdom... I would like to hear about any small problems anyone ran into that I could prepare for before my Jeep is on jacks!
Thanks a bunch and try to write as much as you can think of.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 AM

Year: 2k

just did mine last week. with and older one expect to beak some bolts. the rear shock mount at the top will most definatly break so be preparred to do something there. i also had to weld 2 bolts in on the transfercase drop. ive heard of other people haveing issue with the track bar bolt as well. my advice is to start hitting everything with pb blaster well in advance (like a few days) and do it quite a few times. upon lifting expect a death wobble issue. make sure the track bar is extremely tight and dont drive it to far without an alignment.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 AM

Year: 1993 4Dr Country
Engine: 190hp 4.0 242 H.O I6

Awesome... Yeah Im doing mine tomorrow so unfortunately I cant wd-40 in advance but I am prepared to pick up some extra bolts if need be... My Cherokee is pretty damn clean tho and was kept in a garage for years so the bolts are in good condition but I will wd-40 em anyhow. I will also try and do an alignment as quickly as possible
Thanks a bunch for the advice man... I appreciate it
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

WD-40? that's not a penetrating oil. Get PB Blaster.

The post about death wobble... the only way you're going to get death wobbly is if your tires aren't balanced properly, and you have worn steering components. If all that stuff is good and tight, no death wobble.

I'm working on the rear leaf springs on my RC 4.5" with full leaf packs now. the front went pretty smooth except I got a little gun hoe with the angle grinder and fubared my track bar bracket, so it's getting a double shear upgrade. And I had to cut one of my lower control arm bolts. Now I'm having to cut the front leaf spring bolts.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I did my 4.5" RC kit a couple of weeks ago, I love it... full spring pack in the rear. I got a wobble around 50mph even after the alignment. my alignment guy told me to get a drop pittman arm to clear it up I would suggest you do the same... otherwise an easy to install kit. be prepared to snap your rear upper shock bolts. after mine broke I hammered out what was left in the body (they're just tac welded in) then drill through the body from the underside to line your holes up. then from the top drill your holes out larger (i went 9/16) to allow bolts to drop in and have your buddy hold em tight from the top while you crank the nuts on from underneath. also... do yourself a favor, make a cardboard template of the trac bar mount and cut up some 1/4 in plate for a much more solid mount... I've heard of way too many done without added steel wallowing out the hole you have to drill... otherwise piece of cake install. good luck
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Your stansfer case linkage might need to be adjusted too. mine did and i didnt have four wheel drive for about a week so do that first. That is only if you drop your transfer case.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

i did a 3 inch add a leaf and the front went on with ease just be sure to watch what you un bolt and keeep all your hardware together so you dont go missing things when your piecing it back together.
the rear is basically easy just again watchy our bolts be ready for **** in your eyes if your laying under there with an impact or anything and chcok your wheels or just keep the vehicle stabble dont eant a car landing on you

take your time and do it right and it will work out good expect about 5-7 hours with lunch break
hahaha
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

X2 on the pb blaster, wd-40 wont do anything but drive out moisture.

I'm sure it's been said, but get sway bar disconnects, drop pitman arm, steering box brace if running tires bigger then 31's , I'd make sure all the control arm bushing are good. also get used to driving it when it's done because the 4.5" is quite a bitter different then stock, way more body roll, if you use it one the hwy. after I first did my 4.5 I had a lot of bump steer and some wobble issues, but with all those parts and alot of tweaking, its well worth it.