Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing Leather Seats, Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Installing Leather Seats, Where do I start?

John here, new to the forum. I've been reading some of the threads a while before I offically registered and this seems like yall are a great buch of people.

Anyway, I am considering putting leather seats into my 2000 Cherokee Sport. Where is a good place to start looking? Salvage Yards? Online?

Also, what is a ballpark number that I can expect to pay?

Has anyone done this recently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John
Pasco County, FL
Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by ang33elo
John here, new to the forum. I've been reading some of the threads a while before I offically registered and this seems like yall are a great buch of people.

Anyway, I am considering putting leather seats into my 2000 Cherokee Sport. Where is a good place to start looking? Salvage Yards? Online?

Also, what is a ballpark number that I can expect to pay?

Has anyone done this recently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John
Pasco County, FL
I'd be looking in salvage yards myself.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Year: 1996 XJ Sport 2007 KJ Rubicon
Engine: 242 4.0 Ho, 226 3.7 V6

If you're gonna go the salvage yard/ leather route maybe a set of GC seats would be something to look into. I've never seen it done but some have the extra "plushness", more adjustability in the positioning for the drivers comfort, and some even have built in "bun warmers". Totally up to you just something I've been considering myself. Also try to find a salvage yard that'll let you go browse around and pick and pull them yourself. They are usually cheaper.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

a good place to start for leather seats in my opinion is not in a jeep maybe in a jaguar
Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 PM

I would prefer to have jeep seats, just to make things easy.

On the surface, as far as installiation is concerned, they seem so be fairly easy pull out and put it. 4 brackets per seat, and a few bolts.

Do salvage yards keep inventories, or is it pretty much I'd have to go down there and look around?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Every yard is different. Some tear down the vehicles and inventory them. Others require you to find and pull your own. Some require you to find it, but will require you to have THEM remove it for legal reasons. (idiots suing for getting hurt by their own poor behavior) And LongHornCherokeeMan what would be THAT much better about Jag seats. The only difference I could see is that they would be designed for a car and the price is likely much higher. Just my $0.02
Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info on the salvage yards. I'll start calling around on monday. Do you think it would be worth my time to contact body shops, or custom shops, or do you think they would be well over priced?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

A junk yard would be the cheapest place to find hopefully a decent set of replacment seats. Don't tell the guy behind the counter you want to look in the Junk Yard. They take that word "Junk" personally now of days. I was told one day they are "Auto Reclimation-Salvage and Recycling " Wow, that was scary and soo were their prices. Ouch. High tailed it out of there.
Seats: Check the width, height and bolt pattern spacing. Grand Cherokee seats may not be compatible with the Cherokee Sport. The parts counter should be able to tell you if they are and what years are interchangable. The last time I looked for seats was a few years back, the price on electric seats were $125-150 set. Off the shelf prices can run double that for just one seat.

Also read somewhere that those new heated seats are great in the winter, but GM did have a recall on their seats due to defective resistor units which made the driver literally "sit on the hot seat". (Over heated)
They say leather seats do not get hot in the summer, but My buddy has leather seats in his Ford Taurus and they do get hot with the sun on them, so watch the shorts.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Bigclubs
A junk yard would be the cheapest place to find hopefully a decent set of replacment seats. Don't tell the guy behind the counter you want to look in the Junk Yard. They take that word "Junk" personally now of days. I was told one day they are "Auto Reclimation-Salvage and Recycling " Wow, that was scary and soo were their prices. Ouch. High tailed it out of there.
Seats: Check the width, height and bolt pattern spacing. Grand Cherokee seats may not be compatible with the Cherokee Sport. The parts counter should be able to tell you if they are and what years are interchangable. The last time I looked for seats was a few years back, the price on electric seats were $125-150 set. Off the shelf prices can run double that for just one seat.

Also read somewhere that those new heated seats are great in the winter, but GM did have a recall on their seats due to defective resistor units which made the driver literally "sit on the hot seat". (Over heated)
They say leather seats do not get hot in the summer, but My buddy has leather seats in his Ford Taurus and they do get hot with the sun on them, so watch the shorts.
Sent you a PM. Also if you've got good tint and you put up a sun shield you can block a lot of the leather from heating up too bad. I think heaters are gimmicky and take to long to warm up for it to matter. Plus if you do that in a cherokee and you rig up a stock button then you'll lose your ashtray space which I happen to enjoy having for stuff.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the PM. I'm not really interested in heated/power seats, just kinda looking for an little upgrade.

My Jeep has 120k and is starting to have a few problems, so I was thinking about buying a new vehicle all together, but decided instead to keep mine and invest a little bit in her because I think she still has some miles left in her.

I'm going to get new A/C installed and am going to put in the leather if I can track them down. You weren't kidding about being patient. Searching for them is frustrating. The most helpful has actually been craigslist. I have a few e-mails out, but haven't heard anything back yet though.

Do you know the best way to find out what seats would be compatible with my 2000? Obviously I would love to be able to find a 2000 Classic or something with leather and just pull those out and put them in mine, but at that seems to be a little ambitious.

Thanks for everyones posts, they are all helpful.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

with only 120k on that motor it's still in its youth!!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mobilecherokee4
with only 120k on that motor it's still in its youth!!
X2 I've seen these motors go past 300k easily when taken care of and with routine basic maintenance.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I got a set of black leather seats from a 2000 for 100 at my local salvage yard.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Just wanted to let ya'll know that I am having a little bit of luck with the seats. I'm confident I can get 'em if I keep at it.

Anyone know if seats from a 2000 GRAND CHEROKEE will go in my 2000 CHEROKEE SPORT? Also, they are electric, mine however aren't. Will I be able to manually adjust the seats if I don't have electic hooked up?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Look on Craigs list. I just recently bought leather seats for my 91. I got mine cheap.