Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installed New Radiator Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Installed New Radiator Today

My Jeep is a 96 Sport 4.0 L with auto trans, but no tow pkg.

I bought the Heavy Duty/Tow package radiator from Radiator Express. It is a plain jane aluminum core/plastic end tanks model but also is the 1 1/4 inch core. Fit it in without much fuss.

Though the auto transmission line is a PITA to remove. The fitting on that replacement line did not want to cooperate with the quick (Ha!) connector removal tool. The old line in the past was a lot easier. This time I had to cut the stub coming out of the radiator and pull the end of the hose up high where I could reach it better to wrestle the tool onto it and get the stub out. It did give way with the right direction and force.

The old radiator was a thick single core all brass CSF. Hated to ditch it. But it was leaking in several places and must have been clogged a bit because cooling performance began to suffer a lot the last six months.

About a year and a half ago I had the radiator out and gave it a thorough cleaning. Worked great for a while, then started leaking and under-performing.

Hope the replacement does the trick. I installed a similar quality from same source in my Dakota a year ago and am very happy.

In the last year and a half I have done pretty much the whole cooling system: Radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, cap, fan clutch, aux fan upgrade.

This vehicle now has 270K miles. Burns a quart of oil in 5000 miles. Same as anything new I have owned. Oil runs just shy of 60 psi on the road. And well over 20 psi at idle. I have had it three years and put 75K miles on it.

Last edited by HappyTrails; 10-23-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by HappyTrails
My Jeep is a 96 Sport 4.0 L with auto trans, but no tow pkg.

I bought the Heavy Duty/Tow package radiator from Radiator Express. It is a plain jane aluminum core/plastic end tanks model but also is the 1 1/4 inch core. Fit it in without much fuss.

Though the auto transmission line is a PITA to remove. The fitting on that replacement line did not want to cooperate with the quick (Ha!) connector removal tool. The old line in the past was a lot easier. This time I had to cut the stub coming out of the radiator and pull the end of the hose up high where I could reach it better to wrestle the tool onto it and get the stub out. It did give way with the right direction and force.

The old radiator was a thick single core all brass CSF. Hated to ditch it. But it was leaking in several places and must have been clogged a bit because cooling performance began to suffer a lot the last six months.

About a year and a half ago I had the radiator out and gave it a thorough cleaning. Worked great for a while, then started leaking and under-performing.

Hope the replacement does the trick. I installed a similar quality from same source in my Dakota a year ago and am very happy.

In the last year and a half I have done pretty much the whole cooling system: Radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, cap, fan clutch, aux fan upgrade.

This vehicle now has 270K miles. Burns a quart of oil in 5000 miles. Same as anything new I have owned. Oil runs just shy of 60 psi on the road. And well over 20 psi at idle. I have had it three years and put 75K in it.

TF you put into it? Gold? 75k is absurd in 3 years
Old 10-23-2016, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Martlor13
TF you put into it? Gold? 75k is absurd in 3 years
Silly me. This is supposed to be 75K ON it. As in miles. Thanks for pointing that out. Not the worst mistake I made on a forum!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by HappyTrails
Silly me. This is supposed to be 75K ON it. As in miles. Thanks for pointing that out. Not the worst mistake I made on a forum!
Dude I was blown away haha. Especially since you said you had already replaced the radiator. I was like how many parts does he re-replace hah!