Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I'm thinking electrical/ignition problem...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question I'm thinking electrical/ignition problem...any thoughts?

Hey guys and gals, hoping someome might have some info to help me out. Not sure exactly what my issue is here, and apologies in advance if this ends up wordy but...

I bought a 1990 XJ that was used as a daily driver by its last owner up until a couple of months before I bought it and the prior owner replaced it with a new compact family car...haha, and best I can tell so far there are no other issues with the motor aside from...yep...RMS. However, I seem to have a possible electrical or ignition issue going on. (sorry, I'm a total electrical n00b) Whatever is going on comes and goes and when it does run (which is rare) it will occaisionally die and give me the same problem.

The engine cranks and will indeed run, but only if I continue to hold the key in the start position. If I release it into the run position it instantly dies. My accessory position functions normally. I know the steering column was replaced at some point, along with a slightly updated electric fan, and fog lights were added which I removed along with the factory bumper, other than that everything appears pretty much stock other than my thermostat housing. Anyway, long story not as long, two garages later I'm still nowhere closer to a solution. Anybody know if this sounds like iginition, computer, faulty ground somewhere, CPS, starter, fuel system or what??? I would think most of those would have been checked and easily found by a garage but I'm at a loss.

I intend on doing a complete rewire sometime in the future, but for now I would just like to get this one up and running. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-12-2017, 05:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Definitely sound like ignition switch on lower coloumn issues. Very common issue melted plug causing connection loss.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Yep. Dig in there and take some pics of that connector. It's a known problem area.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:53 AM

Right on guys, MUCH appreciated. I will jump out there in just a bit and take a look and take a couple of pics. Been driving me crazy, hope thats all it needs and I can get her going! I'll post back as soon as I know. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/how-to...gnition-399046
Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 AM

Drum roll please....
Attached Thumbnails I'm thinking electrical/ignition problem...any thoughts?-1.jpg   I'm thinking electrical/ignition problem...any thoughts?-2.jpg   I'm thinking electrical/ignition problem...any thoughts?-3.jpg   I'm thinking electrical/ignition problem...any thoughts?-4.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Didn't see this earlier...thanks for the link!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Looking rough. Cheap fix though.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...er+switch,4700
Old 08-12-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL

No doubt...just glad I don't have to chase down all my grounds with my limited electrical knowledge...haha. Should be able to get a new one in a day or two when I get a chance. I'll post an update once installed and verify that solved the problem. Still don't see how two garages could have overlooked that, but on the bright side neither charged since they didn't find a fix. Viva DIY!!!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Replacing plug is highly recommended while your in there. Buy name brand Standard good. Search the BWD number.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/lig.../jeep/cherokee

Last edited by freegdr; 08-12-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by EzGoingPirate
No doubt...just glad I don't have to chase down all my grounds with my limited electrical knowledge...haha. Should be able to get a new one in a day or two when I get a chance. I'll post an update once installed and verify that solved the problem. Still don't see how two garages could have overlooked that, but on the bright side neither charged since they didn't find a fix. Viva DIY!!!
I would never take a vehicle to either of those places again. They rightfully didn't charge you but that situation just reeks of incompetence.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Theres definitely heat issues there that need to be fixed. That could be the issue if its not problems were going to be caused from it eventually. Since connections are moved cant really test it. Could plug it back in and use switch in run position and test for current.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Replacing plug is highly recommended while your in there. Buy name brand Standard good. Search the BWD number.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/lig.../jeep/cherokee

Will do! Thanks again for the help fellas...if any of you guys find yourself in my neck of the woods shoot me a message and I'll try my best to meet up and buy you a beer, coffee, quart of oil...whatever your poison may be! Always been kind of intimidated by the electrical system...that, and of course the age and condition of the existing wiring in many spots on this XJ is the main reason I want to attempt a full rewire in this one...gotta learn it sometime right?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
I would never take a vehicle to either of those places again. They rightfully didn't charge you but that situation just reeks of incompetence.
Right? Like a buddy of mine said "majority of mechanics around here are nothing more than a wrench turner and only know to look for the most common issues or what the computer spits out at them". I was very clear on what was happening when dropping it off at both places and still nothing...gave the forum the same info and had an answer within just a couple of hours...my fault for not checking here sooner...lol. Enough possible issues seemed to have similar symptoms, and coupling that with two shops full of "professionals" with no solution had me not knowing where I should even begin to look.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Theres definitely heat issues there that need to be fixed. That could be the issue if its not problems were going to be caused from it eventually. Since connections are moved cant really test it. Could plug it back in and use switch in run position and test for current.

I have to pick up a new battery now before I can do that...lol. I had thought about trying to bypass it as well and see if it would stay running, thats when I noticed that my battery is dead now. Tho I can possibly try to get a jump here in a bit maybe. Worse case scenario I'll pick up a new one along with the ignition switch. I do know however that I didn't seem to have any other issues as far as lights, radio etc, everything else seemed to be getting juice fine, and I haven't heard anything that sounds, or feels out of the ordinary while the engine runs. But I know that may not ecxactly mean anything in the grand scheme of things.