Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Im sure its been asked before but i have oil preassure problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Exclamation Im sure its been asked before but i have oil preassure problems

hey all im new to the forum and this is my First post lol.

basically i have a few Q's about my 95 Cherokee sport.

#1 It eats the negative batt connector at a rate of 1 every 3 weeks. Im dead serious, ive tried buying every coated one that is sold, putting a bigger ground cable from it to the fender and still nothing. its getting embarassing when i fill up and the hottie next to me watches as i have to bang the connector back and forth 90 times to get a good connection!

#2 i have already replaced the sender and the gauge but im still haveing screwy oil preassure readings show up. Mainly at idle and when im turning.
At idle i have around anywhere from 10 to 40 lbs of preassure showing on the gauge,
During driving it will sometimes twitch high and low but not extreme like 80 or 0

now when turning like from a light left or right underacceleration my oil preassure gauge claims i loose all preassure but no gauges flash or anything atall, i dont lose power and now blue smoke escapes my tailpipe.

#3 i had to pull apart my cat due to it being clogged after the headgasket blew around 4 months ago, being an backyard engineer i designed up a free flowing exaust system by deleteing the muffler, punching clean the cat then inserting a pipe inside of it (to fool the nosey cop lol) and welded it all up with new hangers and it sounds mean and has a nice V8 reminesent rumble. however since doing that i noticed my engine runs hotter which im assumeing its running leaner due to my fuel consumption being lower and my power gains to be in the Scary department. I mean like i get on the pedal in 2nd and the front wheels want to lift up while the back tires are spinning around 60ish on hot dry pavement.

Im sure porting the head and modding the ecm with the bigger for 5.0 injectors have something to play in this but has anyone out there experienced similar??? I am going to Dyno it in August to see what im pushing but it sure as heck isnt the stock 160 anymore!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

#1 there is something seriously wrong if you eat battery cables like that. Are they tight at first but then eat away and become loose? Could be a leaky battery and check all the connections like the ground cable from the battery to body and engine to body. I would take both apart and clean them.

#2 how often do you check you oil? Blue smoke is either bad piston rings (really bad) or worn out valve seals (not so bad). Just because the sender is new doesnt mean it isnt defective. I would return it and try a few others before looking at a worn out oil pump.

#3 I punched out my cat when it was clogged, i didnt weld a tube in it and not sure why you would, and i put a turbo muffler on it and it ran rich i think, or lean idk i put a new cat on it. It running hot might indicate your cooling system needs to be looked over like your clutch fan.

You cant really mod the ECM unless you are really good at wiring circuit up with new capacitors and what not. look into making an adjustable MAP sensor to trick the ECM. I dont really see the point of 27lb injectors on a stock 4.0L, its alittle overkill. people run it on stokers cause those need the extra fuel.

oh and stock 4.0 make 190hp
Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

when is the last time you checked your oil?
falling oil pressure while cornering is usually a result of low oil level. Uncovering the pickup when turning or accelerating.
Can you elaborate on the "eating" of the terminal. I hear that and assume its some how deteriorating to nothing. Is it just losing its connection? is there corrosion around the terminal? Does the battery leak?
I dont think that your fancy exhaust has anything to do with your engine temperature problem. Seeing that you are starting to see blue smoke, you have some kind of engine problem. I would do a leakdown test and see if you have a problem cylinder. Or any other problem for that matter. was the head checked when the head gasket was replaced?
Who ported the head? Its pretty easy to get into a coolant passage.
You need to do some simple tests and check the fundamentals.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM

Engine: I6

the oil level is over the filled mark by a nit so im sure thats not the case.