Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I'm scared

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Coolant problems and rough idling

ive been losing coolant for the last few weeks. i discovered a small leak in my upper radiator hose and changed it out. after a few days my coolant was low again but i couldnt find any leaks. i bought a bottle of cooling system sealant thinking it may be a small leak in a gasket or something. that was 3 days ago, then yesterday my lower radiator hose failed, i guess you would say, and i discovered a huge gash in it that i know wasnt there before. but anyway i changed it out and seemed like there was no leaks. since yesterday i havent lost any coolant but now my jeep idles rough on a cold start up for a few minutes then smooths out, during this rough idle the air intake sounds super strong like a tornado in there and i got just a slight white smoke come out of my exhaust pipe, it was really light almost not noticeable. does anyone know anything about the strange idling and white smoke on a cold start up? sorry for such a long post.

Last edited by traveezy; 03-03-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: dumb title
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

hmm... are you sure it's white and not blue?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

it sounds like you have head gasket leaking just a tad... simple way to see.. in the morning.. pull the plugs.. get someone to crank over and see if one of them spits out some water at the first crank.. it will spit some fuel out to but on the first few cranks if one has water in it.. it will spit out noticably...If it is head gasket.. well you going to have to change it..and if you cant do it.. then you gona have to pay someone or learn to do it.. :} sorry for the bad news..
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM

it was a very small, faint puff of smoke, it looked white but could have been blue maybe.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM

hommer, do i have to wait til morning? can i just let it cool for a few hours and try this evening?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 PM

any other advise? anyone?

bump
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 2.5l I-4

On a cold start on a cold day, it's rather normal to see a bit of white smoke out the tailpipe, due to condensation. As long as it disappears when the engine is warmed up, you're in good shape. If there's constant white smoke when the engine is up to operating temps, - even a little - , then you've got a leaky head gasket. But make sure it's coolant/antifreeze, it smells distincly different than oil or gasoline. You could also check your oil for a somewhat creamy appearance, or check your coolant for floating oil splatters.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 AM

how bad is a leaky head gasket? sorry if thats a dumb question, im new to jeeps and new to working on them. this was gonna be an awsome jeep, ill do anything i can to save it.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull the oil filler cap and take look in the hole and report what you see.
Your cylinder head is a 0331 casting and they crack between the #3 and #4 cylinder heads.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM

ok.. just got home and im letting it cool down.. this morning there was some white smoke, it went away when jeep reached running temp and didnt smoke at all the rest of the day. after it cools im going to open the filler cap and look at it but im sorry im new at this, what exactly am i looking for?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Steam coming out or white/milky looking oil will indicate a cracked head, typicaly between cylinder 3 and 4.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM

ok i looked in the hole and dont see anything unusual i dont think. im not familiar with how it should look but i didnt see anything cracked and the oil didnt look milky or white but there was a little bit of sludge built up on the back of the filler cap and it was somewhat milky looking.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 2.5l I-4

Originally Posted by traveezy
after it cools im going to open the filler cap and look at it but im sorry im new at this, what exactly am i looking for?
Look if you can see oil floating on the surface of the coolant. It's unmistakable, like, let's say, if you look at chicken broth, you can see the oil floating on the surface. Even though, I really don't think your head gasket is in bad shape. When I start my car in the morning at around 5:30 am, especially when it was cold enough overnight to fog windows/roof/hood, my Jeep will puff out a little white cloud, will emit a little smoke while sitting at a traffic light, and after about 2 to 3 mins of driving, it's gone completely.
The best way to know for sure is by the smell of burnt antifreeze. It's unmistakable.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM

ok i just checked my reservoir but its hard to tell because i just added some coolant system stop leak to my radiator a few days ago and it turned my coolant dark brown. but i do see something in there i just dont know if its from the stop leak or oil. what does burnt antifreeze smell like?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM

i agree with sho 91, i think your head gasket is fine. i think you may have a valve seal leaking a bit which is typical if yo have a high mileage engines. the "gunk" you discribed in the oil cap says it hasn't been maintained as good as it could have been.

Quick Reply: I'm scared