Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Im new and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Im new and need some help

Alright so i just bought a 2000 jeep cherokee freedom its only got about 75000 miles on it and it was a clean deal since i bought it from family.
But i got a problem and have no idea what it is and its happened about three times. So when i try to start the car it wont start up and it takes a few time to get the engine on. but once i finally get it going the engine shakes like crazy, and is a lot louder. I stick it in reverse back up and then it just dies...... so i put it back in park and start the engine again. But the engine shaking still stays (weird but its mainly when stopped or idling), but after i get ware i need to go and come back later to leave, the problem is gone. Only happened a couple of times so not sure what it is. Any ideas ?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM

probably needs tune up, clean the throtle body and IAC.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

X2 on the tune up. The shake you describe Im guessing is just from it misfiring and skipping. Its probably worse when its cold thats why once you get where you are going you may not notice it as bad.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

No CEL??? If there is, get it scanned rather than just guessing at the solution. A tune-up is always recommended for a newly purchased used vehicle tho. If it's a misfire, it will throw a code and turn on the check engine light. That'll even tell you which cylinder is missing. You might also read this: http://jsautosource.com/my-projects/...-rough-no-dtc/. It was happening to me, but it only did it at idle. I ran some sea foam thru it, and started putting my foot into it more and it hasn't happened for a long time.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

This guy is new, he probably doesn't know a throttle body from a brake reservoir. Spell it out for him.

D.FREEDOM--- Do yourself a huge favor. Go to a good auto parts store and buy a Chilton or Haynes repair manual for your model Cherokee. Start with "General Information and Maintenance" and read the entire chapter about two or three times. Then go out to your truck, open the hood and start identifying everything you just read about.

Do you have any tools? You are going to need the basics. I have a garage full of tools now, but when I started out with my first car in 1969, my first purchase was a set of Craftsman open-end wrenches and a socket set. My second purchase was a Volkswagen repair manual called "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive For The Complete Idiot." I learned a whole lot from that manual, because I was definately an unskilled, clueless car owner.

Knowledge is power. Look for a mechanics class or auto shop class somewhere.

Tune-ups aren't too difficult. It sounds like your new Cherokee needs some TLC and attention. Buy a manual, read up on changing plugs, what kind of plugs to buy, how to check the gap on spark plugs, plug wires, dielectric grease, distributors, how to determine if your distributor cap is bad, plug wires are bad, etc. People will tell you "Change the plugs, wires and cap." It may or may not be necessary to spend that much money. We can't tell you because we're not there. You need the knowledge yourself, so go buy a manual and then check back here. Good luck!

Last edited by Low Profile; 01-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Lol ya i dont really know to much yet, but thanks for the help. Gunna try and learn as much as i can so i can do the work myself. Just wanted to set up a thread to try and c if it was a common problem before i got it scanned. But its basically what i was thinking a tune up and the repairs i already have listed as needing. But just wasnt sure what it was cus no engine lights comes on.