Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

im having trouble with the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Exclamation im having trouble with the throttle

Just within the past couple weeks by cherokee has been acting up. Ill be going down the road just fine and then suddenly the throttle starts cutting out. And I have to floor it to get it to keep a constant speed. Ill hold the throttle steady halfway down and it'll start slowing down. I'm not low on fuel or anything. Its done it after I've put gas in it before. I have no clue what the problem is. Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

When was the last time you did a tune up (changed spark pugs & wires)? Also check the TPS.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Once the tune up is taken care of, i'd check the fuel pressure...Could be the pump is going out on ya...
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 AM

I've already checked all my wires and plugs and everything seems fine. I did not however check the fuel pressure. I just recently dropped $40 worth of gas in my driveway cause I pulled the fuel line out of the filter. I recognized another problem when I was looking at the wires though but not sure if it could casue my problem. One of my injectors is bad. It spits out gas. Could that maybe be it?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5L

I've had this issue if I punch it up a steep hill if I have less than half a tank. I think the pickup is on the front of the tank, so on an incline on occasion you can get air in your line if your fuel is splashing around. After a few spits and sputters it should come back completely. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

If you have to floor it to keep going, does the truck speed up or does it stay at the speed you were at, what speed is that highway? btw a leaking injector won't cause that issue. Could be your TPS, but that is an odd goof up, my guess would be pcm, they are known for messing up and causing random issues. Fuel pressure going down or dropping off wouldn't do anything for you by going full throttle. Spark is iffy could bad a bad coil, but then again it wouldn't matter full throttle or not.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM

When I floor it it accelerates just as it would normally when floored. I was thinking that maybe the tps could be bad or the o2 sensor maybe. What is a pcm? I don't believe I've heard of that.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

get your battery load tested first. It can cause this issues you describe.

Secondly i would test the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Do a search for the procedure it's been covered many times.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Ok. Thank you very much guys. Ill try all these tests when I get home from school and ill get back on and let everyone know the results.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

your local auto parts store (eg advance auto / autozone) will have equipment to load test the battery for free
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Ok. Ill take my battery to autozone and then ill test the tps
Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Erra, confused I am, a battery in the truck does only two things. Start your car and run accessories when the truck is off. If the truck is running down the run the battery has nothing to do with anything, in fact you can run your truck down the road without a battery in it. With that said, PCM is your Computer, Powertrain Control Module. There is a screw in it that comes loose and corroded which effects timing, spark, and fuel when it does. The TPS is a good start a lot cheeper of an item to fix then the PCM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by textherex
Erra, confused I am, a battery in the truck does only two things. Start your car and run accessories when the truck is off. If the truck is running down the run the battery has nothing to do with anything, in fact you can run your truck down the road without a battery in it. With that said, PCM is your Computer, Powertrain Control Module. There is a screw in it that comes loose and corroded which effects timing, spark, and fuel when it does. The TPS is a good start a lot cheeper of an item to fix then the PCM.
No.
If you remove a battery on a fuel injected car the engine will die. The battery on a car does everything also when it is running, the alternator keeps it charged. If you run a carburetted or diesel without a battery you will toast the alternator in 15 minutes.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fantic238
No.
If you remove a battery on a fuel injected car the engine will die. The battery on a car does everything also when it is running, the alternator keeps it charged. If you run a carburetted or diesel without a battery you will toast the alternator in 15 minutes.
Sigh, I promise you.. I can create a youtube video to prove it, you can run a truck without a battery. I am not saying to do it, I am not saying there is no issues with doing it. You will fire your alturnator easily because the Battery acts as a Capassitor when using acc. like A/C, Radio, Heater, Lights, ect.. If you do not run anything but the truck, no acc. the truck will run I promise you. I had to jump start my jeep with a second batter that didn't fit in the truck, which involved pulling the old battery, putting in the good one, starting it and while the truck is running pull the good battery and put back the old one, all the while the truck is running. I mean not to argue but I do not like being told that my information is wrong, google it, and find out.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Can you in emergency situations? Yes.
Should you? No.

A poor performing battery WILL cause the problem the OP is having.
Back to the topic please.

Quick Reply: im having trouble with the throttle