Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Im buying tires in the next few days, but im not sure what kind.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Im buying tires in the next few days, but im not sure what kind.

Hi, I just bought my XJ a few weeks ago and just got the lift (4.5inch Rough Country) put on yesterday and im waiting on tires to fit it. Im kind of torn between a few different kind, I need something good in the snow living in Vermont we get tons, but I also want something that will be at least pretty good in mud and on the rocks.

I'm torn between the BFG All-Terrain, which seems to be like the old standby of all terrain tires, or i've also been looking at the Cooper Discoverer ST's which look a little more aggressive but I havent heard any reviews on them at all, so I dont know what people think of them. Does anyone have any expereince with either of these, or maybe even have any suggestions of other tires they like? Im getting them in 33's by the way.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

I have the Cooper Discoverer ST in 31 and im very happy with it, while I plan to get super swampers when I upgrade to 33's, thats mostly because I want as bias ply tire (i've lost 2 of them to the trail,but thats my fault not the tires). For traction in mud they arent bad, better than BFG AT's i'd imagine, they are great on rocky ground and dirt and sand, and while I havent had them long enough to say anything about snow, im sure they do excellent.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by Microd487
Hi, I just bought my XJ a few weeks ago and just got the lift (4.5inch Rough Country) put on yesterday and im waiting on tires to fit it. Im kind of torn between a few different kind, I need something good in the snow living in Vermont we get tons, but I also want something that will be at least pretty good in mud and on the rocks.

I'm torn between the BFG All-Terrain, which seems to be like the old standby of all terrain tires, or i've also been looking at the Cooper Discoverer ST's which look a little more aggressive but I havent heard any reviews on them at all, so I dont know what people think of them. Does anyone have any expereince with either of these, or maybe even have any suggestions of other tires they like? Im getting them in 33's by the way.

i had a ste BFG A/T (31's). they were good all around but what i didnt like is when i went wheelin, the mud would pack in between the treads and make them slicks, then i was a sitting duck. about the cooper's i have no resource. why are u stuck on just those two brands? there are better tires out there. IMHO..
Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Look into goodyear Duratracs there just as or better than BFG AT's and the STT's dont compare in the snow and are mush better in mud than BFG AT's. I just got mine and cant wait to get em on. Oh and there CHEAP
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by xjbuddy
i had a ste BFG A/T (31's). they were good all around but what i didnt like is when i went wheelin, the mud would pack in between the treads and make them slicks, then i was a sitting duck. about the cooper's i have no resource. why are u stuck on just those two brands? there are better tires out there. IMHO..
Im not really stuck on those two, thats just all ive been looking at. If anyone has any better idea's ill def look into it.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

look into the trxus mt, great both on and off road. clean out great in the mud and work pretty good in the snow.
i had them on my xj for a couple years and wheeled some tough trails in northern ontario, and now they've been on the wifey's tj for 3 years as a daily driver driven in winter and wheeled throughout the summer. and they still have more tread then my 3 year old firestone destination mt's on my tj.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

I've read that its tough to get a good set of trxuses?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by caged
look into the trxus mt, great both on and off road. clean out great in the mud and work pretty good in the snow.
i had them on my xj for a couple years and wheeled some tough trails in northern ontario, and now they've been on the wifey's tj for 3 years as a daily driver driven in winter and wheeled throughout the summer. and they still have more tread then my 3 year old firestone destination mt's on my tj.
+1 love the trxus mt did really well all around on my best friends pickup or if you want something like the bfg at but more aggresive in mud how about the bfg mt fm2's ive heard really good things about them
Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

check out treadwright.com they are retread tires and are alot cheaper than new. ive been running a set of 235/75/15's mud terrains on my '94 and love them. i run them up to 75 on the highway with no problems or worries, i also dirve them 3 hrs at that speed regularly. 2 of my buddies are running them also.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

the bfg ats suck in the snow and thick mud the snow and mud packs down in between the threads and makes them like super slicks
Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

I also say trxus. I had them for a while, and they were awesome. I really do like the BFG AT's too though. Those tires lasted me 8 yrs believe it or not!! And I still sold them for like $200. For mud I don't recommend, but for an all around tire, I liked them. Trxus 1st, then BFG.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 00XJ
the bfg ats suck in the snow and thick mud the snow and mud packs down in between the threads and makes them like super slicks
Thats why god created mud tires, they clear themselves. AT's are gonna have a tight tread pattern by design. They're not meant for mudding. And as far as snow, I've found BFG AT's to be pretty stellar. 4-hi with these tires, I never need to chain up.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Member

hows the RC 4.5"? act on the road
Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

thing that sux about canada, well ontario really is we're not allowed chains, studs or retreads. and they salt the roads here with both salt and brine.

the only hard part about the trxus is trying to get them balanced perfectly.
only way i could get them even remotely balance is by using bb's in the tires. even then they're not perfect, but tolerable. you get used to it. golf ***** might work better tho.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

get some Iroks and be done with it

Quick Reply: Im buying tires in the next few days, but im not sure what kind.