Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ignition Problem HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ignition Problem HELP PLEASE

I bought a 1989 Cherokee to rebuild it has the 4.0 bored over in it. apparently the previous owners have ragged this thing. With that being said a lot of the electrical wires are damaged or cut and re wired, my biggest issue is they tried to put a kill switch in the cab and have cut wires to rig it up. Unfortunately the factory switch does not work anymore. what it looks like has happened is out of the factory wire harness there is a plug out of the plug three wires go to the distributor one to a solenoid and a green wire with a white line on the side. they have cut the green wire and tied it straight to the starter and off that ran two wires to the cab for a switch with another wire going to the positive battery terminal. now in theory I see where it was heading but it didn't work out and the only way to start the jeep is to take the 3rd wire and touch it to the positive battery post witch gives power to the starter and starts the jeep up. the key will shut the jeep off but when you turn it all the way forward it will not crank unless the 3rd wire touches the battery post. Can someone tell me where the green wire needs to be tied into or how to get the factory key start to work again?
Old 11-17-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Welcome to the forum
Information for a 88XJ hope this helps
Please keep us posted on your progress

Old 11-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
The Diagram I posted is for a 1988XJ; the wire colors may be different for your 89.