Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

If you had to choose TPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default If you had to choose TPS

OK, so I know this should be an OEM swap. However its gonna take 4ish days to get an OEM in my hand. In the interim I can grab either a Duralast or BWD.

So does it even matter which aftermarket TPS I use to get by? Either one better than the other? Which would be your pick?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 AM

FWIW I have the "not wanting to lock into OD" thing going on....
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Either is fine.....might want to just buy 2 of them though to save an extra trip.

There is a reason that OEM is suggested for that app they work and for some reason the others just seem to have quality control issues a lot of the time.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd personally go Duralast, BWD is the house brand. That being said, if it's just for a couple days, either should be fine like Fred said.

BUT... are you sure it's not your Neutral Safety Switch. When mine was all dirty and not working up to par, my check engine light would come on here and there, and my OD wouldn't kick in. I'd have to pull over, turn it off, and turn it back on and it would usually work then. Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
I'd personally go Duralast, BWD is the house brand. That being said, if it's just for a couple days, either should be fine like Fred said.

BUT... are you sure it's not your Neutral Safety Switch. When mine was all dirty and not working up to par, my check engine light would come on here and there, and my OD wouldn't kick in. I'd have to pull over, turn it off, and turn it back on and it would usually work then. Just a thought.

Here Autozone has the Dura and O'reillys carries the BWD, simple as that. I have an OEM on the way....

And no, I am not sure. lol I did a plethora of things to the XJ the weekend before last. After which this problem arose its ugly head. Initially I suspected TPS after screwing with the connection the problem went away, although it didn't last. Now I know simply shutting down seems to reset the issue for lack of a better term.

I did re-adjust my TV cable yesterday before driving home. (it was one of the things done over said weekend) I drove home 60 miles @ 60-75mph with zero issues. However this morning after only 5-6 miles @ 55-60mph it did it again. Pulled over, off / on, drove the remaining 55 miles without issue up to 75 mph...... IDK lmao Its purring like a naughty kitten otherwise, guess it has to be something huh ?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Although I haven't had any other issues that would point towards NSS... Also haven't had any CEL.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Hmmm, yeah. Sounds like you're in the right area if moving the connector rid the problem for a little bit.

Was just a thought with the NSS, I knew mine was acting up before the no OD issue, because in the mornings during the cold months, my reverse lights wouldn't kick on.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'll be fully honest. I bought a $6 Chinese TPS sensor just for the hell of it, to see if the quality was actually complete garbage.

It's been on my XJ for about 15K miles now without any issues. Not saying "get the cheapest one possible", but when I killed my OEM TPS I swapped this one in a parking lot and basically forgot about it. I have since gotten a spare OEM Mopar from the junkyard but I am actually going to keep that one as a spare to see how long this one will last.

This is the one I bought;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-POS...VW1ZE7&vxp=mtr

CPS and MAP sensor I always run Mopar though...

EDIT:
What I mean to say is get a cheap one locally if yours is bad, and pull an OEM one from the junkyard next time you are out there..

Last edited by investinwaffles; 02-09-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

FWIW, be prepared!
If you're lucky, the TPS screws will come out with no problem.

When i changed mine, one of the mounting screws was hopelessly seized in the throttle body.
Broke a couple torx bits trying to get it out. Finally had to remove the throttle body, carefully break the plastic TPS plastic case with a sharp wood chisel so i could get a pair of vice grips around the screw.

...Initially I suspected TPS after screwing with the connection the problem went away...
Did you examine the connector/contacs? That could be the whole problem.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by moparado

Did you examine the connector/contacs? That could be the whole problem.

Yes, best I could without pulling the TPS. I hit the contacts lightly with a brass brush. It SEEMED to resolve the issue but only temporarily. I have now come to learn though that a simple on / off of the engine does this so I've begun to shift my focus. Although I have not entirely ruled out TPS.

After a second adjustment to my TV cable the issue improved significantly but has not gone away entirely. However, if / when it happens, one on / off cycle seems to clear it up and it drives fine until the next startup.

Examples, after the second TV cable adjustment I got 70ish miles before the first failure to lock. On nextstart up I got 5-6 miles, cycled on / off and drove the remaining 55 miles without issue. This same pattern occurred over the next couple drive cycles.

Last night for giggles I repeated the TV adjustment procedure. This AM I made it about 55 miles before failure to lock up, Again, pulled over, on / off and fine into my office from there.

FWIW my daily commute in the XJ is 60 miles one way mostly all highway @ 60-75 mph.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

So did you ever go and get a cheap TPS to put in and see if anything changed?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
So did you ever go and get a cheap TPS to put in and see if anything changed?

No, I haven't. The OEM TPS should arrive tomorrow or Monday. After seeing the change after adjusting the TV cable it made me second guess spending the extra money on a second TPS. Granted it is only $30 but I already spent $56 on the OEM so I'd be pushing $90 on what may not be my problem....